Odd foot problems (lumps/swelling)
Hello, thanks for your reading this in advance!

For the past few months I have been experiencing what are, to me, odd foot problems. I don't know if they are orthopedic or rheumatoid in nature. I am a 29 year old male and have been an avid runner since adolescence.

Basically, if I wear certain shoes or rest either foot in certain ways, I get what feel to me to be small lumps on the arch or ball of my foot. They are moderately painful, particularly in bare feet, but are not visible to the naked eye. Occasionally, a "big" one will feel, if I push with my hand, like a small lump of fluid. I can make them occur if I push my foot for, say, 30min, against the crossbar of a chair, or for walking around in certain (previously comfortable) shoes. They dissipate after a few hours or a day or so. I have also gotten them if I sleep with a lot of covers on my bed, which put pressure on my feet (I have size 12s), making me bend them while asleep. Occasionally, I also get pink, puffy, swelling between my 2nd and 3rd toes if I bend the front of my foot for a long period.

Naturally, I find this situation rather distressing, and it has become a weekly occurrence and I seemingly can reproduce the symptoms. I also was alarmed yesterday morning, after getting out of bed, to discover that I could barely stand on my foot due to pain in the area below the malleolus when I put pressure on it. After hobbling around for the day, I iced it a bit, then went to bed early. The pain was completely gone by this morning.

What gives? I had a regular checkup around the holidays that was normal. I have had problems with rampant bursitis in my knees and shoulder over the past year, but the orthopedist doesn't think they are rheumatoid-related.
Hello!

I would suggest you to consult a rheumatologist who is a right person to diagnose any joint related conditions.

X-rays and basic tests like levels of RA in blood will diagnose rheumatoid arthritis.

You would need NSAIDs, pain killers, DMARDs, steroid injections and lifestyle modifications for pain relief if diagnosed.

Take care!