Orthopedics Community
Old Fractured Talus Still In Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Old Fractured Talus Still In Pain

I hope this is the right place to post this question.

On March 31, 2008 I was in a car accident and fractured my right talus bone. It was fractured on the head a slight spiral fracture. I was put into a cast for six weeks, went to physical therapy for twelve weeks and continued to do the exercises for the recommended six months afterwards.  Since then if I am on the foot for more than two hours, it swells up and becomes painful to move in any direction. I've always had some problems moving left to right with it but normally walking makes me fall to my knees in pain. When I'm not at work I found wearing the walking cast and using a crutch keeps it from hurting at all. Could someone please help me understand what is wrong with my ankle and if I need to see another doctor? Did my orginal doctor make a mistake when he casted it since he didn't move the foot into a position or anything and left it in the position that it just kinda hung in when I was in the hospital? Please help?
A slight edit, it was on the neck of the talus not the head.
Can anyone help?
Was your doctor a foot and ankle surgeon, a general orthopedist, or podiatrist? If you have not seen a foot and ankle surgeon, that is what you might want to do to get a second opinion.There is a huge difference between a podiatrist and and foot and ankle surgeon (the surgeon has at least twice as much education and training). Preferable a foot and ankle surgeon from a teaching hospital. I hope this helps and good luck, achilles2
He was a foot and ankle surgeon.