Orthopedics Community
Old fracture causing pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Old fracture causing pain

4 years ago I had a boxers fracture, the broken ends of the bone were very out of line and the physician decided to fix this with manipulation in plaster. No x rays were taken after the cast was put on and none have been taken since. Since the injury I have had pain radiating from the outside of my fore-arm to the tip of my little finger most of the time, but have not sought help as I keep being told that "breaks take time to heal" (My dad is a GP). I struggle writing more than a paragraph and general use of my hand causes the pain to intensify. Is there something that can or should be done to help this as I am only 26 and have concerns for the not too distant future and the problems this could cause.
Tags: Pain, fracture, hand, break, old, years, help

It would be difficult to diagnose your condition without a physical examination. The common causes for pain in any region following old fracture after an injury include neurovascular compromise, compartment syndrome, infection, gangrene, osteomyelitis, delayed union, nonunion, malunion and post-traumatic arthritis and fat embolism.

You should promptly consult an orthopedic surgeon for follow-up and aggressive treatment. An x-ray leg might be required to diagnose the problem exactly. Rarely CT, MRI, Ultrasound or even bone scan may be required to look for unusual or hidden injuries In the meanwhile, you may get pain relief from some nonsteroidal- anti-inflammatory agents and analgesics.

Take care.