Old stress fracture causing problems again
I had a stress fracture on my 3rd and 4th metatarsals about 3 years ago. I didn't know what it was until about 6 months after I first started getting really bad pains after wearing heels or going to long dance lessons. I'm hoping to become a professional dancer, so I never stopped dancing (in heels) to allow it to heal properly. I just took a few painkillers and got used to it. Recently, I ramped up my dancing hours to about 35 a week and the pain has got a whole lot worse. It becomes almost unbearable after 3 hours of practice and I have to stop. I tried flatter shoes (1.5 inch heel instead of 3 inch) and squishy pads under the balls of my feet but it didn't help. Is there anything else I can try?
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment on if your symptoms are due to an old fracture or due to other issues. Possibilities that may need to be considered include unhealed fracture, ligament/ tendon injuries, infections, inflammations like fasciitis etc, spur formation, heel fat pad syndrome, arch issues etc. Without knowing the primary cause it would not be possible to suggest a possible management plan.  It is advised to consult an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile it is advised to rest the foot and avoid weight bearing. You could also use some OTC NSAIDS for pain relief.
Hope this helps.

Take care!