Orthopedics Community
Opinions on Cervical/Thoracic/Lumbar MRI Results - I'm a mess (m)....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Opinions on Cervical/Thoracic/Lumbar MRI Results - I'm a mess (m)..

I am 38 yo female, in reasonably good health.  A bit overweight.  I have been dealing with back/neck issues for years (26 to be exact seeing a chiropractor).  I was hit by a drunk driver when 12 had severe cervical sprain at that time.  Fast forward through a lot of pain and appointments to when I was 34.  Diagnosed with DDD or osteoarthritis.  I've had 3 lumbar MRI's, two cervical and one brain because they thought I had MS most recently which I do not.  EVERYTHING has been ruled out and I could post all that info as well, but I wanted to give you my most recent MRI's within last 3 months and let me know if you think I am heading for surgery soon.  I am in a lot of pain in all 3 areas.  Cervical - neck/arm/shoulder pain.  Thoracic - pain in mid-back - heartburn (related?) never had it before - Lumbar - the MOST pain.  No sciatica like pain in one leg, but lower back pain, aching like pain down backs of both legs and into feet with burning feet when I sit for long periods.  Neurologist  exam revealed no reflexes in ankles (haven't for 3 years)  and mute bilateral plantar reflexes.  There's so much more info, but I'll stop here.  Any comments on these MRI's?  THANK YOU so much.

MRI Thoracic Spine without Contrast - 10/07. T1, T2 and T2 fat saturation sagittal sequences, and T1 and T2 weighted axial images were obtained.  The vertebrae are normally aligned.  The stature of the vertebral bodies is maintained.  Disk spaces appear to be preserved.  The spinal cord is of normal signal and morphology.   At T7-8 there is is a small right paramedian protrusion of the nucleus polposus which effaces the ventral aspect of the thecal sac and appears to touch the cord.  There is no foraminal stenosis seen.

Impression:  Small right paramedian protrusion of the nucleus pulposus at T7-8. This small protrusion appears to touch the ventral aspect of the spinal cord, but there is no evidence of spinal or foraminal stenosis.  The spinal cord is unremarkable in appearance and signal.

MRI Cervical Spine without Contrast - Oct/07.  The vertebrae are normally aligned.  Stature of the vertebral bodies is maintained.  Spinal cord is of normal morphology with exception of ventral impression on the cord in the left paramedian location at C6-7 secondary to moderate protrusion of the nucleus pulposus.  There is no evidence of tonsillar herniation, and the foramen magnum is normal in appearance.    There is mild/moderate broad-based bulging in the disk/endplate complex at C5-6, but this finding does not cause impression on the spinal cord, there is no spinal or foraminal stenosis at this level.

Impression:  Significant protrusion of the nucleus pulposus at C6-7, finding is positioned in the left paramedian location and causes mild ventral impression on the spinal cord.  It is also possible that this finding may impinge the traversing left C8 root.  Otherwise unremarkable MRI of the cervical spine.

Lumbar Spine 12/31/07.  Results:  Normal through L3/4 level.   L4/L5 level: There are some mild deg facet changes w/out other significant deg osseous changes. The disk is narrowed and dessicated and does show a broad base disc bulge with a small central disc protrusion. There is also some increased signal in the posterior annulus which could be due to a small tear. These findings do cause mild canal stenosis and foraminal recess narrowing. The neural foramina themselves show minimal narrowing without affecting the exiting nerves. The spinal nerve roots are normal.

L5/S1 level. Minimal facet arthropathy is present without other bony degenerative changes. The disc is narrowed and dessicated with a mild broad base disc bulge with a small to moderate central protrusion which appears to abut up against the proximal left S1 exiting nerve and possibly the right S1 exiting nerve. No significant canal stenosis is identified. The foramina bilaterally show no significant narrowing. The exiting L5 nerves are unaffected. The spinal nerve roots are normal.

This is what has been RULED OUT or is NORMAL:

NORMAL RESULTS/Ruled Out:
08 – Diabetes (Glucose Tolerance Test – A1C was 5.3-normal)
08-Bloodwork Ceruloplasmin (copper test).
08-Lumbar MRI – Compression right and left S1 exiting nerve roots.  Dessicated L4/L5/S1.
07-Thyroid (several times!)
07-Brain MRI (punctate areas of high signal intensity in Centrum Semiovale)-said to be Virchow-Robin Spaces.
07-Cervical and Thoracic MRI - No lesions but a mess with bulges and herniations.
07-Bloodwork: Lyme Titer, Lupus Panel, ANNA 1 and 2, VDRL, Immunoe/Extrophoresis, and B12
07-Ruled out Fibromyalgia
07-Nerve Conduction Studies - Normal.
07-SSEP (Somatosensory Evoked Potentials)
07-VEP – (Visual Evoked Potentials)
07-BAEP – (Brain and Auditory Evoked Potentials)  
07-Lumbar MRI - Normal - with mild bulge at L4/L5.
04-Ankylosing Spondylitis
99/04/07- Carpal Tunnel
05-Cholesterol
04-Rheumatoid Arthritis
90’s/07-Lupus
07-Low Blood Pressure
04/07- Diabetes
96-HIV/AIDS (Insurance Co. required testing)
07-Disorder of the ear - (by Chiro) on 10/11/07
04-ESR Sedimentation Rate Normal in 2004.