Orthopedics - mild disc bulge at L5 on S1 with no neural compromise
I'm suffering from back pain siince a year. Yesterday had an MRI which says: "mild disc bulge at L5 on S1 with no neural compromise", apart from that every other parameter was normal.
---------------------------------------
Medical History:

In Sept:2009:
Had x-rayn and took some medicines at that time and it was fine. However in Feb in again became unbearable. Had an X-ray and 7 Physio therapy sessons. It was fine for couple of months however since month of June the back pain is troubling again. Please advice.

Thanks and Regards,
Sumit
Unfortunately, most doctors will not do anything about a bulging disc.  Usually they wait until it ruptures before they refer you to an orthopedist.  However, some doctors will refer you to pain management to receive injections in your back to help relieve the pain.  You can also have accupuncture or massages done to help loosed up the muscles and sometimes the disc will slip back in to the proper location.  But it will usually slip back out.  Where I live there is a clinic that does spinal decompression.  Basically they lay you on a table, sort of like traction but not really, and the machine helps the disc go back in to place.  Of course it is only temporary but it is a safer and painless alternative to injections in the back and to surgery.  You might try checking around for a clnic that does spinal decompression, or talk to your doctor and see if there is anywhere he would like to refer you for a different option.  Good news is that there is no neural compromise which means it is not affecting any nerves.  But I know the bulging disc hurts.  I am going through this with my mom right now.  Physical therapy did not help her neither did the injections.  Her next step is spinal decompression or accupuncture.  I hope you feel better soon and hope I was able to help you in some way.  Good luck.