Orthopedics Community
Osgood–Schlatter disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Osgood–Schlatter disease

Hello Everyone - my 14 year old son has been diagnosed with Osgood–Schlatter disease.  It is in both knees, and causes him a lot of pain.  Now - here is the major problem - he plays baseball - and very well.  We have restricted him to pitching only - as my son says that pitching hurts less than him playing in the field.  I have tried hot baths 24 hours after he says they hurt, and 400 Mg of ibuprofen - and neither of these seem to help.  I have also tired patellar tendon straps - and they don't seem to help either.  Just wanting to see if anyone has any other suggestions - even prescription meds to just help the pain - (not narcotics).  He loves to play - and has been recruited to play on a travel team.  The poor guy is in constant pain.  And - stop playing isn't an option at this time.  Hope he grows up fast so this will go away.
Hi there!

Management in Osgood Schlatter disease is largely conservative consisting of rest, using braces/ supports, anti-inflammatory medications and ice packs during acute episodes and physiotherapy to strengthen the muscles around the knee joint. High activity sports should be avoided till the symptoms resolve to be followed by gradual progression to a desired activity level. It would be best to discuss the situation, the suggested management plan and the expected prognosis in detail with his treating orthopedician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!