Osteopenia vs. Knee replacement
Is Osteopenia (1.7) a contraindication for knee replacement surgery?
Hi!
Severe osteopenia is a relative contraindication for knee replacement surgery as the bones will not be able to wear the weight of the prosthesis nor will be able to support it. Moderate osteopenia can be a contraindication in obese patients. Mild osteopenia patients can have knee replacement but are rigorously followed up with calcium and vitamin D supplements. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thanks for your comments.  I was able to have a Hyalgan injection which has resolved my pain for now.

HPatsy