Orthopedics Community
Over 2 months I broke a toe - still not healed....!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hello over 2 months ago i stubbed my toe very badly on holiday such that it swelled up and i could hardly walk on it for a few days.

the pain somewhat relinquished but has never fully gone away and is still swollen complete with broken red lines around the toe. it is still off-colour and sore and itchy!!

any advice how long this should take to heal as I'm worried I may be doing damage...doing nothing.

any advice would be great, thanks, SA
I am having the same problem as you. I broke my toe 12 weeks ago and it's still hurting. It's not nearly as painful as it was when I first broke it, but it's still there. I have limited range of motion and too much pressure on it is quite painful. I asked my family doctor what could be going on. She said it could have healed wrong or it might have arthritis in the joint because of the break. She suggested I go see an orthopedic surgeon if the pain continues.

So, I made an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon. I'm going to request that he take x-rays of it to see what's going on. I feel kind of dumb going in for toe pain, but I need my feet to be in good condition and free of pain. I do a lot of walking for my job.

My advice to you would be to talk to your doctor. A broken toe takes about 4 - 6 weeks to heal. Pain after that time frame could mean it didn't heal properly or it could just mean you have some arthritis in it. Either way it's best to just see a doctor to find out for sure.

Good luck
thanks for getting back to me. would arthritis set in so quick?!