Orthopedics Community
PIPJ Volar Plate Avulsion Injury
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

PIPJ Volar Plate Avulsion Injury

I suffered a sporting injury to my right index finger 5 weeks ago, it was direct blow to the end of the finger causing a tuft fracture  right at the tip, a fracture lower on the distal phalanx near the DIP joint, tendon damage, causing a mallet deformity, along with a Volar Plate avulsion fracture of the PIP joint (bottom corner of the middle phalanx). Intitally I was given a straight splint to wear, which caused the PIP point to become very stiff, leading me to take advice from another doctor after a week, who commented that the PIP joint was subluxed, and wanted me to get it moving, which I have over the last 4 weeks, and I can get it to about 75 deg unaided, and 90 deg aided to the point it feels that that is as far as the joint will move, this is done so with a great deal of clicking,popping (sometimes painful) and grating sensation in the joint. With this movement the 2nd doctor said i didnt need to see him again. I am however concerned that all of this clicking popping in the joint is causing damage and that on external inspection its obvoius the joint is still subluxing as the top of the middle phalanx sits a lot higher than the Proximal one when held straight. Will this subluxing self correct? and what would be the cause of all of the joint clicking, popping and grating?