PLEASE! 20 month old with PECTUS EXCAVATUM!!
PLEASE! All doctors read this! I have a 20 month old son with Pectus Excavatum. I am seriously worried about my baby. For one thing I took him over a year ago and expressed my concerned about his chest moving inward when he would inhale. I was told that this is normal and he would grow out of it. So a couple of months ago I told them he has not grown out of it and his chest is sucken in and in moves inward when he inhales. They diagnosed him with Pectus Excavatum. Here is my concern, every patient with this deformity doesnt have the movement of the chest/sternum like he does. The only thing they did with him were x-rays. Nothing more. Im not satisfied with this and Im worried for his life, everyday I pray that God will keep my child safe. Please I need a doctor to give me some advice here. Im stressing out! Is his chest moving inward a big cause for concern?? They said the x-rays shows it isnt putting pressure on his heart or lungs, but how can they know that his heart isnt in distress without proper test....I really need some help here, Im begging any medical professional that has answers to please help me with this!
Hello!

I can understand your concern but the degree of heart-lung impairment caused by lung compression and the level of heart displacement that results from the caved in chest is a subject of controversy and in every case it is different.

I would suggest you to get your child examined and determine if his lung and heart functions are normal. You have to get him examined by a paediatric surgeon and if there is any compromise of his heart and lung functions then surgery is recommended.

Take care!
I would have hem seen by a pediatric cardiologist.  They can order tests like an echocardiogram which shows the anatomy of the heart well and also the output of the heart.  They also will be able to give you more answers.  But if your child does not seem to be in any distress try not to stress yourself out too much.  Good luck.
Thank you both for your input on this. Im gonna do my best to get him checked out for everything to make complete sure that he is going to be fine