Orthopedics Community
PRP knee recovery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

PRP knee recovery

I am scheduled to have PRP injections in both knees on the same day next week. My physician said they will not be any more painful than the diagnostic injections were and there will be no need to rest/ miss work/ use any immobilization devises. He said just "take it easy" the first day and to not do any excessive exercising until after the first of the year (don't run any marathons). This seems contrary to the post-treatment recommendations I am seeing on the web. One site mentioned wearing a brace and using crutches for 3 weeks. What is your experience and your recommendations?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

The PRP injections will sure cause pain as any other injection. The blood will be drawn from your arm (any other vein) and then it will be centrifuged to get platelet rich plasma. (Even when you are given anesthesia, the needle will cause some amount of pain)

If you are not on crutches or brace you would not need especially after the injection. The pain will decrease over a period of time.  The PRP injections would be injected into your damaged ligament or tendon whichever is involved in your knee problem.

The recovery will take over a period of time and the present pain will decrease slowly and you will be active with proper ligament and tendon repair and physiotherapy later.

Your orthopedician is the best person to tell you all the steps and make you understand the procedure before you take this and you can always take a second opinion.

Take care!