Pain Behind Left Knee
Hi. I am Sharad, Male, 32 years, living in Mumbai.

For past 3 months I am experiencing a lot of pain in back of left knee. The pain is not there always and comes mainly while getting up after squatting. I use an Indian style toilet. The pain is momentary and goes away after 5 minutes. But during these 5 minutes I feel like having lost my leg.

I sometimes pain while walking on stares and after getting up from my work chair or car seat. This mainly happens after i seat for a long time and do not move.

I have met few doctors. However did not feel satisfied as they kept giving me general medicines without me any possible causes of the pain.

Please help.

Regards,
Sharad
***@****  
Hi Sharad!
The main cause of popliteal (back of knee is called popliteal fossa) pain is 'popliteus tendinitis'. This is probably what you have. This is an inflammation of the tendon of the popliteal muscle. It causes pain on deep squatting and on standing up. The other such inflammatory tendinitis conditions giving pain at the back of knee on inner or outer side are Hamstrings tendinitis and Gastrocnemius muscle tendenitis. Another cause of popliteal pain is injury to the posterior horn of lateral meniscus. You may need a MRI for correct diagnosis. However, even without a MRI—most of these conditions are treated conservatively with rest, elevation, ice pack, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and cortisone injections. In your case, since the symptoms are not aggravated, physiotherapy may help increase strength in muscles and tendons and help reduce the pain on squatting. Please consult an orthopedic specialist regarding this.  
Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.