Orthopedics Community
Pain after Carpal tunnel release

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Pain after Carpal tunnel release

I had open carpal tunnel release surgery on my right hand over a month ago,  and I got my stitches out and stopped wearing the brace about a week ago. Now I have been experiencing some pain and discomfort that I would consider to be normal post operative pain and that has been slowly getting better. Unfortuatly I also seem to be having a new, strong pain in the outside of my right wrist when I move my pinkie and ring fingers. I was not aware of the pain before the surgery and I was wondering if this would still be considered "normal" pain at this point.
Avatar dr m tn
Hello!

The band of tissue which is causing complications and symptoms around the median nerve in your hand is removed during this procedure of carpal tunnel release surgery.

Although symptoms may be relieved immediately after surgery, full recovery from carpal tunnel surgery can take months. I would suggest you to go for a post operative examination near your orthopedician to rule out infection, nerve damage, stiffness, and pain at the scar.

Take care!
i had carpol tunnel sergery (surgery) 12 weeks ago the sergery (surgery) was successful,but im still having a redness around the scar and slight swelling ,it feels very tight and sore ,i saw my own gp who just gave me savlon antiseptic spray to put on,and also i was told by the hospital after sergery (surgery) to rub aquas cream in a cicular movement down the scar ,is there anything else that i can use to take  for the swelling down and soreness