Orthopedics Community
Pain after Knee Replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Pain after Knee Replacement

My mother had Knee Replacement Surgery in one knee a little over two years ago, due to osteoarthritis.
However, she does still have considerable amount of pain.
She "bandages" her knees up every morning.
She did all of the required exercises after the surgery (perhaps too much).
Her range of motion is OK, but less than it was before surgery.
She was able to sit cross-legged before the surgery for a little while, but cannot now.
She had 4 previous "clean-up" small surgeries on this knee.
Also, a few months after the Knee Replacement, the doctor performed a manipulation, to forcibly bend the knee joint further
One of his comments was that he had never seen so much scar tissue built up.
I wonder if the 4 previous surgeries, too much exercise, or even a 11 hour car trip less than 3 weeks after the surgery could have contributed to her knee pain issues.
Is there another type of doctor that she can see that will specialize in cases of those who have not-so-great outcomes after knee replacement surgery?
My wife underwent a total right knee replacement. It is now 6 seeks.
She goes for her phsiotherapy once a week. She is still complaining of pain especially on the  upper right thigh. She complains of exhaustion on light housework. She has lost weight as she does not have the appetite to eat. How long does it take for the pain to go off.
Thank you. - Sarojah.
My Mom is in the same situation.  Her thigh muscles are so soar she can hardly stand the weight of clothing or bed sheets touching it.  She's 9 weeks out and has as much pain as before the surgery.  (and she had bone on bone, with an actual hole rubbed through).  What is most alarming is that the surgeon will not treat the pain.  He basically says, she shouldn't have pain after 6 weeks.

She's 77, who cares if she should or shouldn't.  She has pain, and sometimes cries with it.  This is nuts!  Have you found anything to help?