Orthopedics Community
Pain after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Pain after surgery

I had surgery for trigger finger release on my middle finger at the end of December. It was a severe case. My doctor told me it would be a simple surgery. I have had a LOT of pain since the surgery. I still take Darvacet at night to control the pain. During the day, I can tolerate it. Is this normal? He said I just need to keep working it, which I constantly do. I have talked to other people who seem to think that I should not still be having the swelling and pain that I have. Now, I am just not sure if I can trust this doctor. Can anyone help with these questions?
A trigger finger is a manifestation of stenosing tenosynovitis that results in painful catching of the involved flexor tendon as the patient flexes and extends the digit.
As the affected digit is slowly flexed, it snaps or triggers into a flexed position.
Once the digit triggers, extension is difficult and, occasionally, must be obtained manual.
Many require surgical intervention, which is recommended before 4 years of age to prevent permanent contracture of the IP joint.
Surgery is the option if conservative treatment fails.
A small transverse or oblique incision is made in the region of the A1 pulley (just distal to the distal transverse palmar crease) and overlying the affected flexor tendon.
The A1 pulley is incised. After surgical release, the hand is bandaged for several days.
Activity is resumed gradually.
Surgical risks include digital nerve laceration, tendon rupture, infection, and reflex sympathetic dystrophy.
What you are having is one of the complications of surgery. You can start on physiotherapy as this would avoid disuse atrophy of muscle and as nerve injury would take time to heal.
You can try a Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator, which is an electronic device that produces electrical signals used to stimulate nerves through unbroken skin. The unit is usually connected to the skin using two or more electrodes. TENS works to decrease pain perception and may be used to control acute and chronic pain. It helps in regenerating nerve.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
I am in exact same boat as you. I was told it would be a simple incision and was lied to. Mine was due to my occupation, so I guess that had alot to do with downplaying the severity of pain I have. Has anyone else-or source you could recommend been useful. I really could use sound trusted advice if so..Sincerely, ***@****
My surgery for middle finger left hand was March 7.  I am still in pain all the time despite 4 physical therapy sessions and doing all the exercises I've been instructed to.  I can only bend the finger half way and it feels like my hand is on fire. I now have pain in my ring finger too which I did not before surgery.  The dr said he sees no reason for this and that I should continue the pt.  I'm not sure he believed me when I told him how much my finger and hand hurt but he did offer some pain relief meds if I wanted them.  I decided to just go with Aleve which really only takes the edge off.  Anyone experience this and now back to normal.  In May of 2007 I had the same surgery on my ring finger right hand and was back to normal in less than a month with almost no pain.