Orthopedics Community
Pain and complications from femoral rod and screws

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Dr. Gross,
I  had a benign distal femur tumor removed which then led to a distal femur break a month later.  Since the surgery when a rod and 8 screws were put in for the femur break, I've had nothing but trouble with the metal.  I had two more surgeries to cut off the bottom of the plate and to remove one screw so that I could get full mobility and to take away the snapping of my IT band against the rod.  Now, I have a stabbing pain in my knee where I believe the screw heads are- I've had to have blood drained and cortisone shots twice.  Anytime I try to push it a little and be active I get pain, stiffness, and a bit of fluid build up.  It is a stabbing pain when my leg bends closer to 90 degrees and I exert force (like going up stairs or doing a squat).  I think I need to have the metal removed, but I'm scared.  It's been 10 months since the break, and want my life back as I'm extremely active.  I can't bike, run, and can barely walk without this pain.  Is it safe to get the metal out?  I've been trying to wait to lower the risk, but it's not getting better.  Please help!  Thanks so much.  Amy (age 33)