Orthopedics Community
Pain at Upper thigh bone/ hip

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Pain at Upper thigh bone/ hip

I have a pain at the upper thigh region of my leg possibly at the joint (with the hip).

The pain is quite severe, I can't bend properly, it hurts when I'm sitting on the chair, even when I'm not lying down properly! I have to keep a pillow between my legs when I go to sleep because of the pain. This started nearly 2 months ago, but I ignored it because the pain, somedays would completely disappear! but only for a day at a time.

My activities are mainly walking, and I used to drive a manual gear car with a very hard clutch, which I stopped  driving over a month ago because of the pain

So, can anyone tell me whats causing this pain?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

You should visit an expert orthopedician for proper examination. Go for an X-ray of lower spine.
This most commonly occurs due to spinal problems or recollect if you had any fall or injury.

Take intermittent anti inflammatory drugs. Take all precautions and do not sit in positions where you get pain or do activities which aggravate pain. Lifestyle changes have to be adopted if this is spine related pain. Proper position while sitting, sleeping and ergonomically designed chairs and beds should be used. Proper footwear should be used. Exercises to strengthen the back should be done.

Take care!
Thanks for the reply!

I am going to a doctor today, I just wanted an opinion from you members as I live in Bangladesh.

But are you sure this is spinal related, the pain is only on my leg. will it heal properly? I'm a bit scared at what you say!!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

If you had a fall, twisted your leg then most probably it is not due to the spine.
Explain proper history of the pain to your orthopedician in details so that he would be helpful to you in knowing the cause of pain. Is it acute or chronic? You can go for a checkup in Dhaka or any other town wherever you have an orthopedics facility.

Spinal nerves from the lumbar region supply your legs so if there is any spinal problem you have issues with legs and there is nothing to be scared till diagnosed.

Take pain killers and rest if it decreases there is nothing to worry!

Take care!