Orthopedics Community
Pain from buttock down to knee

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Pain from buttock down to knee

I have had a really bad burning pain in my left butt cheek that goes down the outside of my left thigh down the outside and back of my calf and then to the outside of my ankle. If I sit down for to long it takes me about 10 min to get where I can walk comfortably, if I stand up to long it takes me about 20 min till I can sit without pain. I don know what is wrong. Any help?
Hi!
Entirely based on the symptoms you describe (pain that starts in his very low back, hip area and goes down his left leg to the knee) it looks like sciatica, where the sacral nerve of sciatic nerve is either irritated or pressed upon. It generally happens when you bend or lift things the wrong way or sit for long in a particular position. The pain can also be due to irritation of the sciatic nerve from infections, injury, pressure from an adjacent bone, tumors etc. However what can be serious is a slip disc or a bulging disc as the cause of this pain. Numbness comes at a very late stage where the nerve is compressed to such an extent that all sensations diminish and there is numbness. A MRI will be required to access the situation. Some patients benefit by conservative treatment (pain killers, muscle relaxants and rest), others need varying degree of traction and few need surgery. Physiotherapy is definitely required. Refrain from lifting weights, bending and straightening with a jerk, jerky rides on roads etc. This needs treatment, please consult a neurologist. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.