Orthopedics Community
Pain in Collarbone Months after Break

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Pain in Collarbone Months after Break

I snapped my collarbone nearly eight months ago. It was "displaced," or essentially the bone snapped and the ends moved apart, but the doctors ultimately decided to give it a chance to heal on its own instead of surgery. I knew that the bone would be deformed an such, but I've been experiencing significant pain recently. I was attributing it to the cold, but it's been plenty warm and I still get pain randomly right at the site of the break. It's usually sharp, like a twinge, at first but then dulls into an ache. As a fighter and active person, this has been making it difficult for me to keep up in some of my routines. Is this kind of pain normal? Will it be like this for long?
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Pain/ discomfort is not an expected symptoms 8 months after an injury. Possibilities that may need to be considered include non-union, mal-union, pressure on the surrounding soft tissue structures, degeneration, neuro-muscular causes, growths/ masses etc. I would suggest seeking a review with your treating orthopedician and depending on the cause identified, a management plan can be drafted accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!