Orthopedics Community
Pain in left arm/shoulder and numbness in thumb/finger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Since before Mother's dayI have been having pain in my left arm just below the elbow and just above my left wrist. Some times I also have pain in my left shoulder. Along with this pain I get numbness, and a feeling of "pens and needles" in my left thumb and index finger. This pain lasts for up to 45 minutes, and then goes away. The pain is usually a 5/10, but sometimes is a 7/10.

The pain is similar to the pain I get sometimes in my lower back and legs from a prior low back injury. I have had no recent back trauma.

I have used the vicodin I have for low back pain twice for this condition. I had some short term minor relief, but it did not work as well as it did for my low back pain. I have also used ibuprofin with no relief.

Any idea what this could be?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The pain might be due to local irritation of a nerve in your hand or arm or also back related. You have to visit an orthopaedician and come to diagnosis after examination and some tests.
Meanwhile follow proper ergonomics while sleeping , working, driving and sitting so you do not aggravate you back. Take care!