Orthopedics Community
Pain in my leg..shin bone?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Pain in my leg..shin bone?

I have a question. For at least the last year if not longer I have been getting really bad pains in my right lower leg. Like on the shin. If you run your hand up or down my my shin bone you can feel little knots. Sometimes from my ankle to my thigh will hurt, sometimes it just seems to be my shin bone. I have been to my dr. for this and he asked if I do alot of running. I told him no, he said I was having bone pain for somereason but he didn't know why. So he gave me a pres. for 30 viocdins and sent me away. In the last couple of days my legs have been bruising real easy, but the bruises do not hurt. All except for a couple of them are real small bruises, like fingerprints. I have 32 bruises on my right leg and 21 on my left. Can you tell me what this might be from?
Also I do have an old injury on my right foot. 10 yrs ago a horse stepped on my foot and they said it had bruised my bone. It happened on a Fri. and they said by Mon I would be off of crutches. It took me 8 weeks before I was able to go off of them. There is still some discoloration and it is very sens. I have went to several specialtist for this. None seemed to have the same opionion. One said rhumatiod arthritis, one said Lupus, one said it would heal over time, and one said that it was nerve damage and if he could find out which nerve he would do surgery to correct it.
Could these problems be from this? The only thing is my foot never hurts when my leg does.
Tags: Pain, bone
It sounds like a form of vericose veins.  The veins are breaking and creating the bruising.  The knots may be the veins becoming tangled in their attempt to create new veins to bypass a blocked vein. These are not always "seen" on the skin like most vericose veins. See an orthopedist who specializes in vericose veins. If your doc is determined that your problem is a nerve related one, see a neurologist first for a nerve conduction study just to be sure. If there is no nerve damage, see the ortho for vericose veins.  Good luck
The dr. I have now isn't to bright...he was the one that said I was having bone pain but didn't know why and just gave me pain pills...
A dr. a long time ago said the thing about the nerve damage in my foot...I had went to him when I was younger b/c for years after my foot getting hurt it would still swell sometimes and to this day is still discolored...
But when my leg hurts my foot doesn't, but I still wasn't sure if the two were related...
I didn't know that about varicose veins...thanks hun..
Dear Sir, I have one problem that i am getting pain in my foot (shoe sole area) even i am unable to put foot on the floor at morning times. i f i will walk some time it will ok. other wise i am getting too much pain on my foot sole are of shoes.i spent 2000 rupees but it did not ok. so please clarify
From last 9 months onward i am suffering from this problem , please arrange to send the answer to my mail id ***@****, becuase i want to relief quickly even i am unable to stand more then 10 mins. So please give suggestions so i can recover
I have tinea that has moved from toenail into joint behind in the right big toe.  THen it moved into ankle, and then further up leg into knee.  The pain is bad and cripples my walking.  

Unfortunately the GP (General Practioner) programme here in Western australia teaches Doctors nothing.  So doctors here say "you know more than me" on just about every occassion you visit them... no matter what is wrong with you...Its very sad.....

Anyway - what are the treatments,  I dont want to be like the individuals in India that have their leg amputated.

thanks

***@****

Hi. I have the same problem and currently doing some research on the pain in the legs.  Suspect that it's related to Oedema.  Not a disease but might be a sympton of other underlying problem

Dorcas
Over the last couple months I have this stabbing like pain on my right leg near the shin bone. It happens at night during rest and it comes and goes. I might not have it for days and then one night there it is again. I can not touch the muscle next to the shin bone to make it hurt.feels like it is bone related. I walk 2 miles every day but have been doing this for years so I don't feel it is excerise related.. Any thoughts?
looks like the doctor doesn't answer in here.
      I have pain in my left leg,just below my knee.Their is knot on it,can you please tell what that come from. I do have numbness & tingling in my foot and toes.Burning pain too.Can let me know whats going with me. Thank You.
I suffer from CFS and fibromyalgia.  Recently , I have been taking dog for walks.  Twice , I did a little run with him ( shih - tzu ). The next day , I had extreme pain in both legs , from front of ankle to knee.  Just to touch that long bone, was unbearable .  I had veins striped from both legs about 16 years ago.  Anyone have any suggestions , what the cause of this pain could be ??

From :BB
I had bone transplant from tibia for a dental surgery about a year and half ago.
I having pains from waist down to toes in various places and variouses pain.
Pain evolved through out the time, now I fell pain on my groins and hip around when I am  sitting down or getting up from sitting position. My ankle and bottom of my feet, I feel diffent pain whenever I walk. I also feel vibration(some sort of) around my hip, below knees and toes. I don't know what is the problem, Doctors have been trating me on my back thinking some kind of disc or dislocation of body from bad posture. All kinds of X-rays and MRI, don't show any disc problem and I am pretty sure this relates to either nerve or vain or tendent causing from tibia.
Please advise me what I should do or what your opinion is.....
i was in a mva in Dec 08. there was a huge brude on my shin bone. now im have alot of shin and knee problums, Dr's have done multipule tests and nothing shows up. today its so bad i can hardley bare weight on my right leg. they say i have (crp) i cant bend or stregten my knee. why would i have so much pain in my shin and it going in my knee? this has been going on for a year and a half. if someone can help or think of something i would love to hear for you. thank you
I have had pain in my legs since i was little . At that time only the bones in my feet would hurt and at times felt so bad i could barely walk properly. After a few blood tests the doctor said i had calcium deficiency. I stopped taking calci chews before my teenage years which was a some time ago and regurlarly get cramp in my foot which are very painful. As well as this i can not bare weight on my left knee it is very painful but is ok when i am walking. In addition to this i am also experiencing leg pain in my lower legs my shin bone i presume, which makes it quiet difficult to stand.soemtimes i can feel this pain just up to my thighs and even the hamstring area. my shin bone feel quiet sensitive to if i touch it.. does anyone no what this could be?
For Billyandsarah99 , and to anyone, I've been having pain lately, Maybe not as intense as many of you, but pain on the shinbones. Im not an expert, but i have just found this website, and It MIGHT help to a few. ((htt p : / /  s  tr o n g l i k e a go r l . b  lo g s p o t . c o m / 2 0 1 0 _ 0 9 _ 0 1 _ a r ch i v e . h tm l
)) (remove spaces)
I will try the R.I.C.E (Rise, Ice, Compress, Elevate) method, and see how It turns out. But for now, i hope anyone can give other advice. but i don't see many doctors replying..
Bartonella causes calf and shin pain.  You can become infected from a pet (cat or dog) or a flea bite (even a sand flea).  This is not common knowledge with physicians so you need testing with a specialist.  Google 'bartonella' and 'lyme disease' (a related but separate infection).  The yahoo bartonalla group can refer you to a physician with an expertise in this area.
I been having this for years and now this is worse.
I had something similar. Dark knots and bad pain on both shins for 2 years before I found out what it was. I finally went to a local dermatologist. It was a skin problem called urathemanodosum syndrome. They gave me some kind of steroid cream to apt to the affected area. It was all gone in a few weeks. Maybe see I dermatologist. They were able to help me. Good luck
You are describing the exact symptoms I have been experiencing. Stabbing pains in one shin at night -- not every night but many. ( I am not a runner or tennis player.) My sleep has been terribly disrupted. Were you ever able to get a convincing diagnosis and/or effective treatment?
for the last few days mt muscles along my shinbone seems to be tight and some what swollen with soreness, it hurts non stop , i cannot seem to stretch my feet outward all the way like normal?
could be plantar fascitous. at least thats what it sounds like check with podiatrist(foot doctor)
I have developed an excruciating pain, running from the back of my thigh, then it seems to change direction, and runs down my shin. It hurts most when standing, not lying/sitting and oddly, not much when walking..