Orthopedics Community
Pain in ribs?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Pain in ribs?

Hello...I'm a 31 year old female who has always been in good health.  I just recently started feeling this very weird pain in my ribs.  It started about 4 days ago in the area just below my left breast - it wasn't actually pain when it first started, it was a weird tingly sensitive feeling in just one little small area that I could feel when my shirt would brush up against it a certain way.  Well, in the last 4 days it has spread around to my back and it is now on both sides - it is all in my ribcage area.  It is not only tingly, burning sensitive feeling - it also feels very sore like I have over exerted myself or something, I can feel it with every breath I take.  If I press anywhere in my ribcage area, front or back, it feels extremely sore and tender to the touch.  It is constant and never goes away.  I have not done anything too strenusous or anything like that here recently where I could have possibly bruised or injured my ribs.  I have no clue what this is - I've never felt anything like it before.  Has anyone ever experienced this kind of pain before in their ribs or know what it could be.  I'm calling my doc first thing tomorrow morning but I'd love to hear someone elses opinion before then.  It's really starting to scare me as the pain has gotten a lot worse just since this morning.  Thanks!

Jamie
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How is the rib pain?

I have some questions:

How would you describe this pain : stabbing, sharp, shooting,burning,tingling,dull,heavy?

Would you be able to point with a single finger the area where the pain is most severe?

Any pain along the arms or jawline?

Is the pain worse when you breathe in?

Have you taken any pain relievers? Did it relieve the symptoms?

Is the pain related to your menstrual cyle?

Pain in the ribs may be due to an underlying inflammatory process that may be caused by inflammation of the cartilage junctions. Are you engaged in any sports? Do you carry a large,heavy bag to work? Do you usually carry your child?

Microtrauma due to repetitive use may cause costochondritis.This condition leads to tenderness over the chest region that may present as extreme tenderness over the area.

Consult your primary physician and discuss for an EKG or echocardiography to be done just to rule out a cardiovascular problem.

Keep us posted and for the meantime try taking pain relievers.You may place a warm compress over the tender areas to alleviate the pain.

Thank you so much for your response.  I read it just before I left for the dr. yesterday morning.  Well, here's what happened:

He performed an EKG there in the office, which showed up completely normal.  Took a chest x-ray which was also normal.  He drew some blood so that he could rule out arthritis?  I know it is not that but I guess he's wanting to rule everything out.  He said that if that comes back normal, and I'm still experiencing pain, then they will do an MRI.  I believe he said this would rule out costochondritis, which is exactly what you mentioned!  He said he was really baffled but we'll get to the bottom of it.  (Let's keep our fingers crossed).  

I am still experiencing this pain in my ribcage (front and back).  I cannot point out with my finger where the pain is worse as it is in too large an area.  I thought it was going away last night but it's back again this morning.   I would describe the pain as achey (achy), tingling and burning.  There are no sharp, stabbing or shooting pains.  And there are no blisters or redness (I know it's not shingles).  No pain in my arms or jawline, just in my ribcage area.  At times it does kind of hurt when I breathe in, it mainly feels like I'm just sore in that area like I overworked myself.  But I have done nothing lately to overwork myself. I am not engaged in any sports and I do not carry a large bag or a child.   Pain relievers do not relieve the pain at all.  The Dr. prescribed an anti-inflammatory that I'm getting ready to go get filled this morning.  We'll see if it helps with the pain.  

Again, I appreciate your response.  I'll keep you posted on what happens.  Thanks!

Jamie
Hi im just wondering what happened with you and the doctor. did you end up doing the MRI. I have had a similar pain for over a year now. i began doing a heap of tests when it first came about and nothing came up. I very rarely go to the doctor but ive tried but the doctors continue to give me pain killers or antiinflammatories. i even got sent to a specialist and he pretty much said "you are still able to do everything that you used to be able to do, so im not too concerned. Come back if it gets worse". Then they charge you a fortune. I haven't done anything about it now for probably 8 months or so.

15months later and i am now experiencing a tingling sensation in my left shoulder, arm and fingers. i am getting extremely frustrated with whatever is going on with me. i used to be 100% healthy and felt great all my life. i just dont want to go back to the doctor, they seem useless. I have done ultra sounds, maybe 4 different blood tests, ECG, chest xrays and no signs of anything. all tests show im fine. no infections nothing.

How did you go with your tests.

Thanks Anthony
I feel your pain, I have had the same thing for almost 3 years and I'm only 21. started out as back cracking, then chest pain, which I got X-ray, EKG, and a Spirometry test done for. nothing, so they never diagnosed me, I just decided to diagnose it as costocondritis. then just over a year ago, I woke up with an extremely sore shoulder, which still hurts, I saw massage for a while, but now I'm just doing exercises to help control pain that I don't know will go away.

If you ever figure this out let me know k, it seems it is happening to lots of people, and is a newer thing, doctors don't know about.
Boy, I definately know what you all are talking about. My rib "soreness" is extremely bad right now and that's the reason that I am on this website, trying to find any answers or just something. I am only 24, in very good condition, healthy and fit but this soreness, nothing short of just pain, has been with me off and on for at least 3 years now. I would have to day afew times a year, the soreness is unbareable. Right now I have to lay ontop of pillows because the mattress hurts my ribs. The soreness seems to radiate everywhere my ribs are. From my front ribs, underneath my collar bone, both sides and both sides of my upper and midback area. I was previously told it was costocondritis as well but all the research that I saw on that said that it should of resolved itself within a few months, at most a year..and I still have it. Anti-inflammatory medications dont work and neither do pain medications. I dont know what kind of condition this is or what it's related to but I sincerely hope that they find out something about it soon...
Hang in there everyone...and if I ever get an answer, I will surely let you all know.

Best of luck and God Bless
I just started to get this pain in my rib cage on the left side and think I over worked myself, but can't see what I did different from anyother day.  I've read the above comments and have the similiar problem.  Waiting for my doctors appointment to find out the problem.
I too have the same thing u do, I sleep on a bunch of pillows. I have also tried, a rib belt, and a rib binder, shots,anti-inflammatories . I have been in pain for the last 20 yrs. It started out as a pop when I would cough or laugh...then the pain just never left. I have seen different docs and it has been diagnosed as Costrocondritis . I don't believe thats what I have. I've also had blood tests and x-rays..everything fine.it hurts to sit too, the only relief i get is when I'm standing, it seems to take the pressure off them a bit.
I hope u find out more then I have. Good luck.
I was just curious if anyone had been diagnosed with fibromyalgia? I have read that rib pain is a common complaint with fibro.
I too have been suffering with rib pain for about two weeks now. It started in the front lower ribs, both sides. It felt like a burining sensation. Since then it has progressed to include my sides (R and L) as well as my back around my shoulder blades, maybe a smidge lower than that.
Coughing and laughing does not make it worse though.  I did recently have issues with anxiety and believe I had a panic attack. I am wondering if becoming tense has something to do with it? I am baffled and absolutely hate not knowing what the cause is, thus I start researching the internet. This internet research for answers can be great, as youcan find others who share your ailments, or it can be horrible because lots of bad things come up too. I think that is what caused my anxiety issues a week ago actually. I was reading too many bad things and figured I had the worst possible thing.
Please keep updated as to if anyone figures out what is going on. I have a Dr appt in two weeks and if I find out anything I will post my findings.
Good health and peace of mind to all. :)
Hello Jamie, I just read about your problem with your rib pain.
I am now 62 years old. When I was in my thirties the exact same as what happened to youm happened to me. One day I doubled over from the severe pain. When the doctor came he diagnozed me with Bornes Holmes disease. He said it will never go away and the only thing to take is painkillers when the pain gets unbearable. I have learned to live with it over the years. I have the pain everyday of my life but it is bearable. Most of the time I can only feel it with touch. Maybe it's worth looking it up.
Kind regards
Victoria
Hello!! I have this also. I was told it was related to Fibromyalgia, which i have had for about 20 years. The pain is in the back, front, and sides of the rib cage-sore and very tender to the touch!!!  I take tramadol (1-2 pills a day), which helps only a little. I don't know if this helps.....!