Orthopedics Community
Painful, red toe (for no reason!)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Painful, red toe (for no reason!)

Has anyone out there ever had one toe to become red and painful for no reason?  I was home all day in my house shoes and in the evening, I became aware that something hurt in my left toe area.  I slipped my house shoe off and saw that the toe next to my small one was blood red and very painful.  I never stumped it or anything.  I immediately soaked it in hot epson salts water which made it feel some better, but it is still red.  How could this happen??  I would appreciate any input.  Thanks
Many things can make a toe read.  If it is red hot and swollen it could be gout or an infection.  If the temp is normal to cool it is probably circulation like Raynauds disease.
Do you smoke?  Do you have any heart conditions?  You need to see a podiatrist so this can be treated.
Thanks for your input.  Since I had not done anything to my toe, instead of a podiatrist, I went to see my family doctor, a GP.  He said I had an infection of the cuticle and he prescribed some antibiotics (which set me back $120.00!!  What ever happened to the $15 antibiotic???)  Thanks again.
Gout causes problems with the big toe, but it can turn up several places. You must get on medicine for Gout. The pain will be gone in 2 days with the right medication.