Painful Dislocate Kneecap
I dislocated my knee cap badly a few weeks ago while i was on holiday. I was told by the specialist that i have snapped the dislocation was extremley bad and i have ripped all the muscles and ligaments around my knee. I've been told i need a cast on for 6 weeks and if the ligaments dont start to heal i will need surgery. I'm currently getting a lot of pain down my leg and getting pins and needles and knee spasms. Yesterday i also heard a clicking noise when i put weight on my leg and it has been more painful since. Any advice on what i did yesterday or why the pain is so bad even though im on strong painkillers??
Hi there!

Well, without an evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include fractures, dislocations, ligament/ tendon injuries, chondromalacia, tendonitis, bursitis, injuries to the internal knee ligaments/ menisci, infections/ inflammations, neurological/ vascular causes etc; just to name a few. With the description I am not really sure about the extent of injury either, which makes it difficult to suggest a management plan. I would suggest considering an evaluation by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile I would suggest resting the leg and avoiding weight bearing/ movement. Ice-packs and tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS may be helpful for pain relief.
Hope this helps.

Take care!