Orthopedics Community
Paralysis from untreated spine injury? HELP! no insurance!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

My boyfriend was in a car accident 3 1/2 years ago. The insurance company was supposed to pay for his care because he was not at fault, but due to the circumstances involving his mother signing an agreement, they basically got out of it.

Anyways, he had his seatbelt on incorrectly behind his back and was hit from behind, which resulted in a broken L5, S1 and S2. His pain has gotten progressively worse, but in the past month the pain has DOUBLED since his accident. He is experiencing pain on BOTH sides of his back vs just the one it started on, his back goes numb and he loses sensation (pain is still there though) where it is broken. He is also losing feeling throughout his body. I asked him to give me a percent of how much feeling he has in various places; 70% feet, 50% left leg, 50% left leg, 40% butt and 60% groin. He says he feels a pins and needles type pain as well.
I just noticed this the other day and he had not noticed before because he is colorblind, but his feet are starting to turn reddish purple accompanied by the loss of feeling. I thought it may have been just a cold day so I told him to keep socks on his feet, and I have been checking them periodically and they are still very cold to the touch along with the discoloration.

He has gone to 3 different emergency rooms multiple times and has racked up a very hefty debt because of these hospitals. They WILL NOT help him! He cannot afford health insurance because he can't work, and he can't work because he doesn't have health insurance to treat him! It took him going 4 different times to even get an x-ray! The x-ray wasn't even read by an orthopedic!! NO answers. They have sent him home with various RXs; Robaxin, Zanaflex, Flexaril, Tramadol, and only once have given him a RX for 12 Percocet 5 mg. They write him off as a drug seeker because he's coming in for an old injury, but he isn't even asking for narcotics just answers! He's terrified he's going to go paralyzed, because it is becoming more and more difficult for him to walk along with the loss of feeling, numbness and increased pain. Also, if there is anyone who truly thinks he is a drug seeker, we have been dating for almost a year and the only thing he has touched is a joint now and then to cope with his pain, he doesn't even like taking my oxycodone even when he is in tears from the pain. I can also tell when he is having a "pain attack", I can feel his pulse go up to over 170 beats per minute, he breaks out in a sweat, and his breathing becomes very rapid and shallow.

If there is a doctor/person with experience in this injury reading this, please give me any answers you may have as to why he is starting to lose feeling and increased pain so long after the accident. At the time of the injury, he had not lost any feeling he was just in a lot of pain. Also, I would love any suggestions to help the pain. Is there anything a doctor could do to fix the loss of feeling? Is surgery an option? I have had over 12 femur rodding surgeries myself, would putting hardware in his back be a viable solution? Any answers, suggestions or comments you may have will be greatly appreciated, we have tried everything.

Thank you! (: