Orthopedics Community
Partial Patellar Tendon Tear, to do surgery or to wait it out?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hurt my knee 2 weeks before my junior high school volleyball tryouts (august of 2009)... was told i had a partial tear in my patellar tendon in the right knee & the left one was starting to do the same. He instructed me to sit out for 6 weeks to give time to heal or i might end up rupturing it. Sat out for my 6 weeks, then went back to playing and finishing my season. After the season was over (november of 2009), still had very bad knee pain... went back to the same doc and he said to take another 6 weeks off & then do physical therapy. Sat out my 6 weeks and did my Physical therapy, and finished just in time for tennis season to start. Got into my second week of tennis, ended up having the same knee pains as i did in august. Went to new doctor and he said i had Severe Patellar tendonitis. Said he could inject my patella tendons with plasma to help them heal faster but wanted to do that for last resort. Went back and kept playing tennis.... Then had very very bad knee pains (sharp pain, stiffness, hard to get up, etc.) Went back to the doc and got a new MRI. He told me that i have a partially torn patellar tendon... and that i can either have open knee surgery or inject it with plasma and wait 3 months to see if it will heal. I have decided to do surgery because i want to be 100% back no doubt for my Senior year of volleyball,,,,,,,, Do you think i have made the right decision? or should i get another doctors opinion? (plz respond asap, surgery is scheduled for april 5th, 2010)
I'm going through the same thing  I had been have knee pain for a while years it started when i was in the army played a lot of ball or what not to make a long story short about three weeks ago I was playing ball went up for a jump shot and had the worst pain i ever felt in my life in my knee went to the doc they told me I had a partial torn patellar they then gave me a brace to wear for 3weeks I went back to the doc a couple a days ago and told him i wanted the surgery after doing my own research figure it would be the best thing to do good luck  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

If you have time then go in a conservative approach for partial tear. (Prolotherapy,  rest etc.)

Conservative approach is wearing a brace and avoiding physical exertion for couple of weeks followed up with physiotherapy. You can also take intermittent NSAIDs for the pain and inflammation if required.

But, being a student and as you are actively involved in sports you took a right decision.

Take care!
did it end up ok? My junior year of volleyball just started and i had surgery on a partial tear in my patellar tendon 2 wees ago. I got hurt the end of march and was told it was tendonitis until i got an mri. After months of therapy i ended up having the surgery. I was told that i could be back in 2-3 months but after seeing all the negative reviews im becoming unsure of that happening.
Im in a similar position trying to make a decision about what i am going to do. I'm wondering how everyone has recovered from there surgery?? is it as expected? how long is the recovery peiod?? any help would be greatly appreciated :)
I just had surgery today on my patellar tendon.  It was completely ruptured.  I'm 19 hours post op and the nerve block is fading.  I am in excruciating pain.  I'm starting to wonder if this is normal or if something is wrong.  Nothing I do is comfortable.  Interesting add:  my doctor told me that I could start bending my knee the day after surgery and that I walk with an immobilizer immediately.  I don't think I should have as I literally feel like dying right now.  Did anyone else experience this and how long will the pain last?
I am so sorry about your pain....my surgery, just like yours is tomorrow morning...all the posts that I have read have not seemed to have had your pain....I think I would demand a phone talk with the surgeon to see whats going on.....good luck...
I did talk to my surgeon, he happens to be a friend of mine so he has been very willing to answer all my questions.  He explained that due to the severity of my injury that I would be very "sore" once the nerve block wore off.   Part of my problem was I hadn't been taking Ibuprofen.  Believe it or not that helped immensely.  I'm at day 3 post op and feel 100% better than I did the night of.  I started on the continuous movement machine today and it is unbelievable how much more comfort I have while laying down.  Good luck to you and take ibuprofen.