Orthopedics Community
Partial patellar tendon tear.. Rehab, Surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I have recently been diagnosed with a tendon tear in my knee, and more specifically the patellar tendon, the doctor said he does not want to do surgery due to the 6 to 12 month rehab time with this procedure and since it is not completely torn, but without surgery it looks like i will not be 100 percent again and get back my capabilities. since it is not ruptured or completely torn im wondering if i could rehab the tendon and if theres anything i can do to rehab the tendon toward bringing it back to strength without surgery.. basically i was told not to play basketball without a knee brace, refrain from certain excersizes and types of motions or it would get worse and tear completely... basically is there anything i can do to improve it without surgery, is there any way to get it back to 100 percent (with or without surgery) thanks.  also i was told arthoscopic surgery would not be sufficient, open knee surgery would have to be used.
Hello Dear,
The treatment  of partial patellar tendon tear is immobilization in full knee extension for 3 to 6 weeks  in a cylinder cast.For  partial patellar tendon tear maintenance of patellar height, cast or brace immobilization in full extension for 6 weeks followed by a therapy program to regain motion and strength may be appropriate. Progress must be slow to allow for tendon-to-bone healing. Strengthening exercises should be delayed for at least 3 months.You should go for the conservative treatment as surgical repair is done for complete ruptures.
Refer http://www.emedicine.com/orthoped/TOPIC246.HTM#section~Treatment
Best
Just to follow up, Its been about 6 months and my knee has not gotten better. It still displays weakness and is nowhere near the strength it should be. My doctor told me after an MRI that the tear could not be taken care of with arthoscopic surgery but only open knee surgery and he did not reccommend this due to the serious rehab that would be required following the surgery. I went on to ask if there was anything else that could be done to rehab the tendon and he said unlike a muscle you cannot strengthen a tendon and that I could not do anything to help my cause UNLESS it is the surgery. From your response it sounded like I could rehab the tendon with a cast and later with strengthening, I'm wondering how close this will get me to 100% strength in that knee, and who I could talk to for a second opinion (another orthopedic surgeon?).. What are my options right now, if I did go through with open knee surgery how long will it be til I start walking, until I start flexability, until I start strengthening the leg and knee again, and how long until I really will be back to a place where I can go about with activity like sports and excersize without worrying about it... any information would be great, thanks doc.
Pete:

If the tendon is partially torn away from teh bone it is unlikely that it will heal without surgery to the extent that you would like. It will require open surgery to remove the damaged area of the tendon and then to re-attach it back to the bone. Afterwards you will need a brace or cast to keep the knee straight for 4-6 weeks followed by physical therapy to regain motion and strength. It is hard to predict how long it will take you to get back to basketball but likely at least 6 months.

vic goradia
http://www.goortho.net
Get a 2nd, and 3rd or 4th in person expert opinions from well experienced orthos.  And then pick the best one to get your surgery, if you REALLY need it.  I went into surgery for a torn ACL and I came out worse off.  Now I have to have 3 surgeries to 'try' to repair the damage from the first surgery.  I have had 2 so far and I have severe nueritis and a growing nueroma as well as severe atrophy below the knee.  Make sure your doctor is wellllllllllllll experienced and specializes in your particular injury.  Best to you.
I have the same thing. My left knee gives out all of the time. I play softball and I can not run around the bases anymore! I am 32 years of age and I am so depressed. I used to run and now I cannot run. I finally went to the doctors today and he said I have a partially torn Patella Tendon. Surgery is not an option. He wants me to have ultrasounds to the tendon to break up the scar tissue. Once the tissue is broken up, physical therapy for 6 weeks. Have you heard of this? I am making the call tomorrow to set this up.

Eric
You should go ahead and have the open knee surgury.  I was diagnosed with patella tendonitis last December and was prescribed the patella brace which i wore playing basketball for 6 months.  However, the knee continued to be really sore.  I'd gently work it out after bball with leg extensions on the nautilus machine which seemed to help.  However on June 30, I completely ruptured the patella tendon going up for a layup.  Surgury was on July 1 and I started PT on July 13, less than 2 weeks later.  I'm on a walker for a few more weeks but I can put 20% weight on my repaired knee.  It sounds like having the surgury and doing the PT afterwards will be quicker than imobilizing the knee for 6 weeks and hoping the tendon regrafts to the patella.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If by conservative treatment, aka Physiotherapy will help you heal the tear it is always good to go for immobilisation and Physiotherapy. With age and with movements the healing for tendon tears, ligament tears takes time.
If you need surgery after that you can always go but do not go for surgery immidiately and try to help your body and give a chance for natural healing. Take care!
I am 14 weeks post patellar tendon debridement surgery.  I have been to 16 PT appointments.  I have somewhat recovered from scare tissue issues and other pains, but my original area that was/is injured still hurts (10+ when any weight is placed on it).  I can swear that I am still injured, I am back to the point of where I was before surgery.  Oh ya, I forgot to ad, I was injured 12/2008 and didn't have sugery until 7/2009.  Its a workers comp situation.  I went to 4 doctors who all were specialist, but didn't perform surgery anymore.
I can't kneel down, I can't crawl, I can't have really good sex with my wife, I haven't slept through a complete night since my injury back in December 08.  I can't go up and down stairs unless I hold the hand rail and go one step at a time.  I am depressed.  I just wan this thing to heal.
I have 4 kids too, I can't even have them sit on my lap.  20 mins. of sitting and my knee is in pain pain pain.  I find myself laying on the couch most of the day.  I ice 4 to 5 times a day, I take Tramodol for the pain.  I AM TIRED!!!!  
dont despair , keep working at it , dont sit around , exercise as much as u can , im 16weeks after op and its ok , still not right but hopefully goin right way , still cant do the stairs tho, its a confidence thing i think , knee still gets sore after exercise and is still swollen but not as bad plus i get spasm when i wake every morning until i stretch the leg , its a long haul thing so stick in there and keep the chin up.
I had arthoscopic surgery fo my torn meniscus, and 3 weeks later while crouching down, I partially tore my petellar tendon.  Could my surgery have weekened my petellar tendon?  Wouldn't the MRI have shown any previous tear?
My son, who is 20, plays football and has had chronic right knee pain... he just had an MRI and was diagnosed with a patella tendon tear and tendonitis... he was given a cortisone shot and said the other day some of the swelling has gone down... I do not believe his tear is from the bone but instead some fibrous tear in the middle... he have been in extreme pain and it would just start hurting for no reason... he put off getting it looked at until coming home from college... he has been playing intramural basketball and dunking the basketball prior to examination... he is very active walking 4 plus miles everyday at work... he is on anti-inflamatories and giving it rest...he bears weight easily and goes up and down stairs... he has set up an appointment with a local chirapractor for ART treatments...we hope this helps and he is capable of beginning football in August for his college.
I thought I was the only one feeling this way. I'm 22 years old and I just had my patella tendon repaired surgically. Let my start off by saying that my accident was on june 2009 and now its September 2010 and I just had surgery. It all started with a hairline fracture on my patella I was put in an immobilizer for what was supposed to be 6 weeks instead it ended up being 3 months. After the 3 months I started physical therapy which made my pain worse and I just couldn't take it. I couldn't do a lot of things such as bend my knee, straighten my leg out, put weight on my leg or even take baby steps because my knee would start to buckle and give out. Through the months I was referred to neurologist and another orthopedic doctor that still couldn't figure out as to why I was still in so much pain and unable to do many things with my leg. Finally in july 2010 I was referred to a sports orthopedic doctor in which he started my case all over. He disregarded all past mri's and xrays and started from the beginning. It was then that he found out I had a partial tear on my patella tendon and the only way to fix it is by surgery. Ill be honest I was scared because I knew I was going back to the first stages of my injury. I knew that this was my last chance of getting my leg back to normal and being able to live the life I used to have. So on sept. 10th I went through with it. During the surgery my doctor repaired my tendon but also found that the knee cartilidge was also rippled which of course causes pain and will lead to arthritis. At the moment I'm recovering this is my third day home and ill be honest is painful and it brings me down. I have to be on ice therapy all day and laying in bed all day with my leg elevated. Its uncomfortable and annoying because I can't do anything for myself. Anyways I was told I can't do any activities for 42 days and then I will start therapy. This is my last chance of getting my old life back so I'm hoping this works out. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one going through this type of situation. May god bless everyone because I know its not easy its depressing being home all day not being able to do anything. Good luck to everyone and I hope you find a solution to these pains.
I'm 31years old.  I was playing basketball a couple of weeks ago and while going up for a dunk, I heard a pop in my knee area.  I took a ride in an ambulance to the local hospital and had a few x-rays.  I was diagnosed with a fractured patella and a ruptured pateller tendon. I had surgery to repair the ruptured patellar tendon on Nov. 11. 2010.  I'm in an immobilizer brace, with my leg at full extension and I start physical therapy on Nov. 28. They say the road to recovery is a long one, but i plan to stay positive and surround myself with pure motivation.  I'll pray for your successful and speedy recovery!
Well, it must have been about 1997 that I was riding my horse when my best friend cantered past me and her horse kicked me slightly below the knee. (imagine being hit by a sledge hammer right below your knee) To make a long story short, I was told by the local hospital that I had a bad laceration. (it took 3 subcutaneous stitches and 5 outside to close the wound) After going through 2 prescriptions of pain killers and still in pain and much swelling, I asked my PCP to refer me to a specialist. He sent me to Shadyside Hospital in Pittsburgh and the Orthopedic doctor told me they had read the MRI wrong and that I had a torn patellar tendon.( He had come from Philadelphia where he said he saw a lot of that sort of injury in horse people from getting kicked) This was well over a month after the injury. He said by then it was too late to do surgery and showed me some exercises to do. I have no problems with that knee other than arthritis; which is present in the inner part of both knees. Other than the first two months or so of the injury; I had no residual problems.
Its been 7 months since my operation. I had a 5 % tear, but enough to make me hobble rather than walk. Went through the operation and they ended up reattaching part of it to the thigh bone, stitching the tear in the middle, excising part of the Bursa and a clean up of debris.

Went through everything like I was supposed to including PT. -- Kicker was I have a job where I have to stand and walk for 8 hours a day. Back at work 2 months later with restricted hours...Things were looking good and then 7 months later I tried the treadmill... All hell has broken lose.

They dont want to operate again because of the damage it will do.. So now Im worse off than before.  I can barely walk right now.
This is how I fixed my partial tear of the patellar tendon.

My diagnosis 8-2-10: Partial tearing of the patellar tendon at its origin with associated bone marrow edema in the inferior patella. These findings are consistent with jumper's knee. Tendinosis of the popliteus tendon at its insertion.

I had knee pain from 12/07 - 1/11. Before my injury, I was never a good distance runner (I would get shin splints if I tried to run too far) but I was an active person playing soccer, Frisbee and hiking. By mid 08 I could do very little physical activity from the knee pain. Some days it was worse than others. Walking up and down stairs hurt and jogging across the street hurt. I couldn't do any hard surface running (grass, concrete, dirt trails) but I could run barefoot in the sand and I could bike. After shutting my body down for two years trying to do specific weight training and physical therapy, I wasn't getting much better. Stretching helped but it didn't solve my problem.

In Jan of 2011 I went for a jog after doing some research on proper running form. Before my injury, I would run with a heal strike and poor upper body form (I was a "head chaser"). I walked and ran loudly and running HURT. After reading about the correct stride length, upper body form, tempo, and landing on the ball of the foot I decide to put it to practice. I went jogging barefoot for one mile with absolutely no pain.

I decided to go barefoot because it forces you to run with proper form. I have now run barefoot for six months. I completed a half marathon in June (2hrs 20 min) with my Vibram shoes. I play soccer and Frisbee again and I have no pain in my knee.

I would recommend you find a rec center with a grass field and run around it a few times barefoot to see how it feels. Running on grass feels good and you don't have to worry about getting cut. Make sure you read about proper running form, and put those lessons to use. Even if you don’t go barefoot, proper form is important. TAKE IT SLOW. I've read of people breaking bones in their feet or tearing tendons or muscles in their feet because they try to do too much. Your feet are weak, give them time to build up strength.

Hope my story helps.
I do not know how far along you are now, but I too have a partial tear in my patellar tendon. First off, a Cortosone shots are bad because they weaken the tendon.My doctor told me my surrounding muscles were to strong to undergo surgery. There is this new innovative procedure called PRP (platelet rich plasma) which helps stimulate tendon growth. Basically the doctor will take a needle of your own oxygen and platelet rich blood and inject it into the knee. The ideology behind this procedure is that platelets are responsible for growth, so bringing them to the site of the damage will help. Also the tendon lacks a strong blood flow of oxygen so that also is brought to the knee. The great part is there is no transfusion or graft so the body's adaptation is more fluid and it is non-invasive.
I had a partial tear of my left patellar tendon on June 3, 2011.  My daughter was recovering from a major surgery and went out to play with some kids at the Ronald Mcdonald House.  I jumped and when I landed my knee popped and then...pain.  After 7 weeks of pain and difficulty I had an MRI that revealed the tear.  I  had surgery on August 1, 2011.  I am 35 years old, married with 2 little ones.  It has been a little rough since Monday.  The first 3 days were filled with a lot of pain.  I used the pain meds for sure.  I'm not sure the degree of tear I had, but I don't think it was too bad because I can already out 100% weight on the leg.....as long as it it fully extended.  I am experienceing numbness in the lower area of the surgery and it is a little red around that spot.  Did anyone have this?  I go for post-op on Friday so I'll see where I should be.  
I have been reading about all posts. I wanted to add my own question I was just told myself that I have a 60% tear of my patella tendon.  I ride a motorcycle and bend the knee almost all the way back and after a while it may hurt.  Walking and everything else it fine.  The doctors I have seen haven’t told me anything about how to take care of it or how to help it heal.  Anyone know what’s best to help it heal?
joemyra. numbness is normal, im 2y on from my patella tendon ,the numbness is common, a little part of my knee is still numb, sometimes  it does not come back fully.Even now it still needs constant exercise to keep everything loose, cant really run , and can go a little weak at knee if i take a false step but im really happy with the final product, did make the mistake of letting the wire inside. it cracked and caused pain, get the wire out asap if u have it fitted, get it out, biggggg mistake to take the chance on letting it in, i had way more movement and comfort in the knee when it was out.Its a very long and hard road but everyone gets there in their own time .
My son fell in Portugal in June 2011 and cut his knee open in a tile. I realised how serious it was as we could see straight into the knee joint but nobody spoke any English. The ambulance took him away and they took him to a minor injuries unit where a GP stitched him up. It was very frustrating. We came back to Britain 4 days later, took him straight to the Doctors but when I tried to book in with the emergency GP he told me that this was tocomplex for him to deal with and booked me in to see the nurse practitioner ! Eventually after a week, my normal GP saw him and agreed to refer to the hospital. Since then I have been fighting with the NHS system (and consultants) and he has finally had an ultrasound and then an MRI (by default as the first consultant stated to me that he was not going to "waste NHS money" scanning him, fortunately he forgot to cancel one a junior colleague had already booked).  3 months on and the ultrasound and MRI have shown a cut patella tendon.I already knew as I am an Occupational Therapist and look at the fight I've had. The only advice we have had so far is that he should be exercising more (not immobilise) and no one seems to have the foggiest about how to manage a patella tendon damage. We have our first appt with the hospital since the test results and I would be grateful if any one is aware of any articles,research etc that anyone knows of as I think the fight is going to continue. This thread has been a huge help and without it,I might not have fought as hard as I have. Thank you
I had sprained my LCL sometime in December 2010 during rehearsal and then eventually, as I continued, got a hairline tear. It would hurt me all the time. Doctor initially thought I had tendonities and had me go through physical therapy for over a month but the condition did not improve.. Finally I was referred to a specialist and after MRI they found the sprain and tear.. He advised me that it will heal in time (6-7 weeks) and I did not need any medication or anything... But it was not getting any better and I was living my life with pain as part of my every day life. Also been to accupuncturist few times not to much effect. Then I started doing Bikram Yoga, ever since it has done wonder. It still hurts little some times, but I am doing so much better now. Back to dance and am performing again. Have also been on the field quite a few times to play cricket. Its been really good so far. I am so grateful to yoga now and believe with time and continuous yoga practice it will heal completely. Please give it a try and see how it works for you, but you will have to be patient with it.
Hi,  I am 2 and 1/2 yrs post op for a full patellar tendon tear.  I lost 2 cm of tendon and had it reattached to the bone. I was training to be a police officer and had to resign 3 months after the surgery.  The rehab was self driven with phsio once a month - I am not a sporty person but my knee is back to about 90% and I have totally forgotten about the injury - the fear and counting steps has long gone and am only left with some pain when i kneal - due to what i think is wire in there.  Considering the long road of physio that i took and learing to walk again I am able to look back with almost amnesia- hang in there - do what the physio says and it wil get better.  I can run and have been for over a year and forget about the knee and the previous injury
I had partial knee replacement in both knees at the end of June. All was going well until 2 months into rehab, I was in an auto accident. Apparently in the accident, I hit my left knee and injured or tore the Patellar tendon. I have a burning, stabbing pain below my knee cap that has progressively worsened. My doc said to tough it out, as there is no broken bones, nor apparent problem with the implant. Its been 2 months since the accident and am not getting better. Today, I was fitted for a knee imobilizer brace. This position does alleviate some discomfort. Will I have to keep my weight off this leg, or will crutches and partial weight bearing be sufficient? I intend to wear this for 6 weeks and then rehab again, based on the posts on this board. Do you agree or have any other suggestions?
It is good to know you are doing 90%.  I fell in July of this year and broke my kneecap and tendon.  I had surgery and was in the hosptial for about five days.  Came home in a brace and started physical thereapy about five to six weeks after that.  I am presently in therapy.  I have just now reached 100 degrees and still have a good ways to go.  I figure thereapy for a few more months which is great progress is good.  My problem is that my thigh on the same leg has numbness all the time, and my buttocks also is numb. The therapists are now working on this but, I have not read where anyone else has had this problem.  I thought it was from the extensive thereapy and I also have the flexonator.  Has anyone else had this problem
I AM QUITE CONFUSED. I ENDED UP HYPERFLEXING MY LEFT KNEE AND A DAY LATER IT WAS REAL SHINEY HOT AND SWOLLEN. I DID CONSERVATIVE TREATMENT FOR A WEEK, ICE REST ELEVATION ETC. THE SWELLING AND PAIN WENT AWAY BUT I HAVE BEEN SINCE THEN LEFT WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO PUT FULL WEIGHT  ON MY LEG BECAUSE IT BUCKLES OUT FROM UNDERNEATH ME. I HAVE HAD A TOTAL KINEE REPLACEMENT IN THAT SAME KNEE SEVERAL YRS AGO. THE TEAR TO MY PATELLA TENDON WAS IN JUNE OF 2010. MY DR SAYS THERE IS NO WAY TO FIX ME. HE SAID THE ONLY WAY TO DO SURGERY IS TO TAKE  A TENDON FROM A CADAVER AND HAVETO INSERT IT  ANOLG WITH SOME OTHER TENDON OR MUSCLE FROM A CADAVER. HE SAID THE BSURGERY IS EXTREMELY INTENSE AND THE RESULTS FOR ME PROBABLY WOULDN'T GAIN ME ANYTHING. WHY HE DIDN'T RECOMMEND ANY IMMOBILIZATION IN THE BEGINNING I AM NOT SURE. I CAN ESTEND MY LEG FULLY ON A FLAT SURFACE BUT TO EXTEND IT FULLY WHILE IN A SITTING POSITION NO WAY. I AM PROBABLY AT SAY65 DEGREES. HE WANTS METO SETTLEFOR A BRACE THAT WOULD KEEP MY LEG IN COMPLETE EXTENSION WHILE WALKING SO I CAN PUT FULL PRESSURE ON IT.I ALSO SUFFER FROM SPINAL STENOSIS WHICH 2 SURGERIES HAVE NOT FIXED THE WEAKNESS IN MY LEGS SO I HAVE THAT AGAINST ME TOO. I ALSO WEIGH CLOSE TO 300 LBS SO I KOW THAT DOESN'T HELP. THE THING IS IS THAT I AMVERY CONFUSED ABOUT THERE NOT BEING A SURGICAL SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM USING WHAT TENDON REMAINS AND COMPARED TO WHAT I HAVE READ HERE OF PEOPLE HAVING SURGERY TO REPAIR IT. ANYBODY HAVE ANY KIND OF SUGGESTIONS FOR ME? ANYTHING WOULD BE HELPFUL. THANKS.
I have suffered a long time with Patella Tendon issues I had my left knee operated on around 3 years ago for a tear this was not immobilized at all after surgery, I would say I have recovered from this but my knee will never be 100% but I can resume playing soccer and have done for the past 2 years. After I had the surgery my right knee began to get sore and the familiar feeling of the tendon being inflamed, I saw a physio who was able to refer me to a sports medicine specialist who arranged for a MRI to be done. Results showed no tear but the tendon was very thick and inflamed so it was suggested I complete eccentric exercises which had no effect, I was then offered PRP Therapy but the cost was high and with no guarantee it would help I declined it.
I have continued to see my PT every week for the past 5 months in order to try and maintain my knee enough to continue to the end of the soccer season. On the 14th Nov I had surgery to repair my tendon (this was a last resort as other treatments had not worked) the tendon had the damaged portion removed and I was in a knee brace with my leg in full extension for 2 weeks post op, I had a mild amount of pain which was bearable, I had my first PT session post op on the 2nd Dec which included flextion and extension exercise's and my brace adjusted to allow me to bend my knee by 50 degrees. I have to do strengthening exercises which are quite painful but I feel I have made the right option to go ahead with the surgery but it will be a slow process to get back to fully fit, I have been advised 6 months.
So fingers crossed!
I first noticed my knees aching back in June of 2011.... It started with me being determined to loose weight fast.  I went from no activity at all to running around 3 miles a day and or doing at least 30 minutes a day on the elliptical machine. I thought the pain I was experiencing was due to me being out of shape.  I stopped running and started doing only elliptical but still experienced serious pain. Fast forward, Months later to August of 2011, I played a pick up game of basketball, which I never do.  The dull aches I had been feeling for months immediately turned into severe pain while I was playing.  I immediately realized that I had a real problem.  Did some research and discovered I must have patellar tendonitis.  Went to U.K. Sports Medicine in Lexington, KY.  They are renowned in Lexington by I think my physician disregarded the severity of my condition. They confirmed that I had Patellar Tendonitis and gave me a list of exercises to do, a script for a topical ointment, and the suggestion to continue my: 2000mg of ibuprofen daily, Deep tissue Ice massages, and tendon wraps.  Fast forward again.  It's Dec 2011, the week before Christmas, 6 months since my first symptoms and although my quads and hamstrings are stronger from the rehab exercises, I feel no relief from the pain.  My legs still buckle when I walk.  Holding on to hand rails up and down stairs is a must.  No running, no aerobic activity at all.  I'm struggling to control my weight using weight training only, as I know any weight gain is just going to complicate my condition.  I'm becoming depressed.  I work and am on my feet for 8 hours a day.  Reading everyone's testimony regarding surgery is scary considering the possible recovery time.  I'm 32 and move like I'm 72.  
Reading all the different testimonies regarding a patella tendon rupture mine is slightly different.....August 2011 I was admitted into hospital for a routine 'flush' of the knee as it was grating and grinding and uncomfortable. I could still live a full and active life, most mornings at the gym, power walking and walking my dogs every day. I was told this was a minor op and would be back to normal within 2 weeks. When I awoke from the op and was told I could go home and to get out of bed.......I couldn't move my leg! 3 nurses hoisted me out of bed and dressed me, I couldn't walk so they put me in a wheelchair, screaming and crying I was stood up out of the chair to where my partner was waiting and left me, We somehow managed to get in the car, people were staring at the sight of me screaming and being prised into the car. Got home and I was in AGONY I had to be lifted in and out of bed, I couldn't bend my knee at all the pain was something else. After 5 days I was in so much pain I was taken into Orthopedics by ambulance, where I was shown no sympathy told to lift my leg and get on with physio, there was nothing wrong and the only thing they could do for me was to give a leg brace and crutches. Over the next few weeks nothing changed I would wobble nearly fall over the knee would give way for no reason, it was swollen, hot and painful. I saw 4 consultants over a 12 week period each sent me away and told me there was nothing wrong even though I protested and kept telling them I felt something had gone wrong, I walked very slowly with a profound limp was in severe pain all the time I was at the end of my tether not knowing what to do next. I had been going to hydrotherapy for several weeks and they were nagging me to 'bend it come on bend it' they wouldn't listen to me. We decided to go for a 2nd opinion privately I paid £710 including the MRI scan and after 15weeks I finally had an answer. Dduring the routine 'flush' and shaving of my patella they and severed my patella tendon!!!  My new consultand said it is very rare and that I only had a few strands of tendon left holding my kneecap in place, he was amazed that I could get about at all, he told me it was urgent that I have surgery because if those last few strands went my knee would just 'pop' then I would be in real trouble. 3 days later I was in hospital for the repair, they have drilled holes in my kneecap and shin and wired them together and sewn the tendon back. I am 3 weeks and 1 day in now I have a 6" wound down my knee, in a leg brace which I will have to wear for months, crutches again months, I need further surgery to remove the wires and full recovery is up to 2 years! We live in an upstairs flat so I can't get out (I'm in too much pain to even want to go out anyway) we have 2 small dogs who I have had to give to a friend because I can't get downstairs to let them out. I have to rely on my partner and family and friends to fetch and carry for me. This has ruined my left I cannot believe this has happened to me and how I have ended up like this. The pain from the repair is as bad as the ruptured tendon. I must not put weight on my leg for 6 weeks, I am doing everything I have been told to do. I just pray that there is light at the end of the tunnel and I will make a full recovery. Knee pain is SO awful I sympathise with all efllow sufferers and wish you all a speedy recovery. I tell you what though....I have NOT finished with those doctors who told me nothing was wrong and sent me away time after time and left me limping about in immense pain for 15 weeks...oh no  they have already been sent a solicitors letter !!
I ruptured both patella tendons back in Nov. 2000, while playing basketball when I did a jump stop, I heard an actually explosion go off in my head and fell on my back. I took a ride in the ambulance to the hospital where my worst fears were confirmed and I was scheduled for surgery the next morning. I had both knees surgically repaired and following six weeks of my legs being immobilized, I began a long journal of PT (six-months to be exact). Then, I continued my therapy at home, with weight training and walking up and down steep hills for approx. six more months. I was 38 when the injury occured and I am 50 now. There are some things, still today I will not do. I use to love running, but the pounding still makes the tendons hurt. The one testimonial I can give is the injury was forever life changing -- at least for me.
hi, im 26 and have just done exactly the same as you did back in 2010, i was curious to know if your back up and running fully active because im really concerned i wont be, i just want some reassurance. its been 4 weeks since op and have only about 40 degree bend in my knee. im only doing passive exercises and i dont feel its getting any better.

if possible and you recieve my text would it be possible to send an e - mail

bensaunderz_1986***@****

thankyou
Are you really a doctor? Because it's a tendon not a ligament we're talking about.
my name is Brandon and im 19 years old and i have a partical torn pateller tendon in my left knee. Ive had a sharp pain in my knee for 6 months now and 2 months ago i went to the doctor and got an mri. He told me i had a partical torn patellar tendon but it had to heak on its own and he wouldnt  do surgery. He told me to rest all the time and it should heal on its own but i think its the same as before and didnt heal. Im in pain all the time trying to walk straight, trying to go up stairs which i can do if i have hand rails, i cant crawl without horrible pain, i cant kneel down without falling on my face, i cant go to a store and shop because it hurts, i caznt even wal;k without holding something so i cant fall and i get looked down on for it. This is the most depressing and embarrassing thing ive ever had to live with in my life. I have a wedding nxt month and its my brothers and im the best man. I dont know how im going to do this and its depressing. What do i do to help myself?
I am 18 and I have just recently under gone surgery on my partially torn patella tendon. The pain from this is huge and my knee looks like a balloon, with huge bruising around it. Basically what my surgeon did was to go into the knee and open it up straight down the middle where he then cleaned out the patella tendon of all the jelly like substance where the hole in the tendon is he then re cut the hole in the tendon to hopefully get it to re attach. But before the surgery I had countless amounts of Physio and acupuncture which did not work, I then had just plain blood injections which is where they take my own blood and inject it back into my knee next I tried platelet Rich plasma (PRP) Which sort of worked but nothing great. Then I tried putting it in a fixed brace and used croutches so i was completly non weight bearing which I did for 2 months yet again no success. Finally I tried a polidocanol injection which is an injection they do under ultrasound to kill the blood vessels which hopefully takes away the pain meaning that you can then do intensive Physio, for me this didnt work though I would recommend trying it. Especially for brosson because sometimes this can be a temporary pain relief. Although this treatment is normally a follow to the PRP. I would not recommend surgery straight out because it is the most painful thing and has a huge recovery time. So exhaust all your options first.
I am in the same situation - But want to know about an MRI that may be poor. Meaning, slight movement may result in a inaccurate MRI. Is that possible and can cause a misdiagnose? I was told I moved during the MRI, but the MRI was sent regardless to the the Surgeon. Should I get another MRI?
did you go with the prp? i have a 10-15% tear as well and i am contemplating it.
what exactly did they do to repair it during surgery? Thanks,
Shocking. Current medical theory stays away from cortisone injections near the patella tendon. Patella and Achilles tendons that have been exposed to this type of treatment appear to have a higher likelihood of complete ruptures. Or at least that the current theory. They still use injections in other areas but I'm surprised that a doc is still injecting a patella tendon.
I'm not a doc and make no representations as such. But I would question this technique and do your homework.
I'm a bit confused why someone would advise a brace for this. The patella tendon is not just a stabilizing tendon like the acl, mcl or pcl. It transmits all of the force from your quads to your tibia. This has to happen to jump, run, or even straighten your leg. When you put maximum force into a jump, all of that force goes through your patella tendon. And if the tendon is week, it tears or ruptures. Rest and rehab will allow any inflammation to subside. A brace may prevent a twisting or lateral force injury but will not prevent the joint from working as designed. A brace will not prevent you from putting enough force through the tendon to cause further damage. Especially a tendon that is already compromised. Your options are, get surgery and hope it helps or, stop jumping and become an outside shooter. I'm currently recovering from my second patella rupture. I recommend you stop jumping. A complete rupture is extremely painful and a long, long recovery. Depending on your line of work and benefits, it could be career threatening.
What did you ever find out?  Or how have you been since 2011?  I have a very similar situation and hoping I can recover without surgery.  Does anyone know if I have a partial tear of 50% off the bone(MRI confirmed), can this heal without surgery?  I can walk normal and lift my leg laying down with no pain, but hurts when I bend my knee from a squatting or lunging position.  Seeing an Ortho Dr. for a recommendation in two days.  Thanks in advance for any advice.
Please let us know what your Ortho says.  I have a partial tear and am waiting to see the Ortho myself.  I'm curious as to what he is going to recommend.  I'm a cop and so I have to be very active.  Honestly I'm hoping for an aggressive approach so that I can return to an active lifestyle.  This was an on the job injury so I'm curious how they will approach this.
I had a complete tear of the patellar tendon on June 4.  I had Surgery on June 10. I tore the tendon off the tibia... Pretty brutal. The surgery was 3 hours, they had to put a pin in my tibia while drilling 2 holes in my kneecap.  Then they attached a wire from my kneecap to my tibia.  I am still wearing my brace in full extension but have gotten a 60 degree bend out of my leg.  I am also using the elliptical when I am not in PT. it is exhausting to say the least. My Orthopedist just ok'd me to put a 30 degree flex in the brace in a week. Folks... Stick to the PT regimen. Exercise the knee every day of he week. I wouldn't  wish this I jury on my worst enemy.  The rehab is a long process... Don't know fully how mine will turn out but treat every bit of progress as a win...  
Don't know if this still matters, but I did the open knee surgery and around nine and a half months of rehab to a partially torn patella (25-40%)... the results aren't pretty. I use to play basketball and I haven't regained the mobility, the agility or the stamina I once had. I can't cut, jump or make quick changes of direction anymore. My body isn't at that level. Even my knee feels stiff as hell and its been a two years (and some) since surgery. Its a sacrifice that I'm willing to undergo. But you will NEVER feel the same. Your knees get stiff when standing to long. Sitting in the same position for long brings aches. Bending is limited. Everything I do physically is tiring. The only thing I can do is bike short distances (I have to raise the bike seat super high but at least its something). You should speak with a professional before undergoing anything this serious. And not to just understand the timetable of recovery, but life after the injury. Hope you the best.
hi every one. Feeling good after hearing form all of u. Am 21 years old and i had bike accident in 23nov 2013. In this accident i got cut injury in my right patellar tandon. After 20h i had surgery in my knee. And docs plasterd my leg. After 4days injurd knee found infection after lots of injection it lookd good. I hv rested 2months in bed without no leg movement and now doc is telling that my other tendon got jamed and i also dnt knw hw is my pateller tendon and i cant fold my leg .i will start physiotharepi next few days. Dont knw whats going to happen with my lyf pls pray for me
Hi everyone, I have a slight tear to the patella tendon only 5mm, ive been going to the physio for the past month and doing a range of exercises as requested by the physio. I haven't played a game of soccer since 17th December and to-date I still feel pain in my knee and it doesn't feel better at all. I really want to continue to play soccer, any help will be much appreciated.
Hi my name is Kosta I have been playing basketball since 8 years old and i had bad foot mechanics i was a toe walker so weather i ran walked i always was on my toes this gave me bad stability in my muscles and in time they became instable (some were stronger others weaker). at 16 i had my first knee pains and this was normal by my parents both doctors due to the growth spur, at 18 i signed a under 22 pro contract with a basketball team and trained my *** off 6 days a week 5 days double trainings + gym n 1 day games. During my first 6 months i started to feel gradual pain buildup under my left knee (patellar tendon) and soon enough it had spread towards my VMO (inside quad area) went to doctors had no idea what was wrong had mri,xrays,ultrasounds they couldnt fing anything i was in pains couldnt jump properly, couldnt run properly and my knee was giving out often. Went to see a specialist at 21 years old after stoping playing ball she found micro fibre tears in my patellar tendon on both my knees. And she said they are not that little the stages are, muscle imbalance-tendon pain-microfibre tears-partial tears. she told me to rest RICE and to go physio nothig really helped. Was so depresed I was at a point to thinking to bash my knee with a hammer or to cut off my leg from the pains and discomfort. I was at the end of my nerves i saw that non of the speialists n physios really cared about my pain but more about my money ******* priks. Did tons of research and currently i am 22 my knees are strong i squat 125kg, deadlift 120kg and my vertical is 30inches. First analyse your pain how does it feel and when after exercise before exercise after stretching and icing. have a mri and ultrasound ASAP when you start feeling pains. Supplimenets that helped me: cissus quadragelis, hylauronic joint complex, fish oil, ibuprofen, chymoral enzymes look them up and search about them miracle workers. I was told to rest the knee 4-6 weeks which i did and didnt feel it got better, did physio helped a bit but still didnt get rid of the pain i was spending $$$ for no real help. I did my research and was intrested how can i take the most pressure out of my tendons so they do not do too much work and are not too iritated and the answer was not rest BUT FUKN WORKING OUT THE MUSCLES most of the tears happend because we use the tendon to do a strainius activity like jump and run instead of the muscles. SO PLEASE HAVE A CHECK UP FIRST FIND THE CONDITION OF YOUR TENDON DAMAGE IF IT IS MINOR TEARS OR LEVEL 1 there is a chance to get the knee better. Your knee will never be 100% it never is it is constantly geting damaged day in day out forget 100% geting the knee between 90-95% condition is optimal. My email is kostadin_mkd***@**** i am a PT now and have helped myself and many of my clients in Sydney to get their knees better too many exercises to name here but if you would like to know the exercises that helped me write to me and i will send you a list of them.
All the info here is very interesting, but your post was outstanding! you are the one who made the most sense to me...can we exchange contact info? (your complete email isn't showing)  i'm a great enthuasiast of excercise and rehab, but in a non traditional way, exactly the way you explained, yeahp also have had my tendon adventures!...please add me as gu5tav0ca5tr0 at fb or in that legendary email service that's too hot to handle

Thanks man!