Orthopedics Community
Patella Realignment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Patella Realignment

I have a knee that has dislocated since a childhood injury.  It slips out frequently but dislocated the other day.  I went an orthopedist who said that my knee did not track correctly due to genetics and that I needed a complete patella realignment.  He said this a major surgery in that they would have to move bone as well.  I need to know if anyone else has had this surgery and how long you were in the hospital and what the recovery was like.  He said it would be a tough recovery but even more so for me because I suffer from Fibromyalgia.  Thanks!
You will never heal and there is no surgery that will help. Hope for an early death because it is going to be a ***** in old age. And since this surgery affects mostly women, don't expect any research into the problem. YOU ARE SCREWED. I wish doctors would be more honest and use that phrase more often.

I dislocated my patella in my youth and it has never been the same. My knee hurts all of the time is completely unstable. Been to rehab about eight times - REHAB DOES NOT WORK FOR MOST PEOPLE - with absolutely no success. My current ortho doc told me to lose as much weight as I can and to cease playing sports of any kind that require lateral movement. No tennis, running, soccer, basketball, hockey, ice skating, basically any sport you can think of. I can't even ballroom dance anymore. I am stuck swimming and riding a recumbent bike. I jump rope as well, but don't tell him I do.

There is some hope from a therapist in Texas. He takes a different approach to rehab and focuses on the hip joint for stability. This sounds smarter than the idiotic "strengthen you inner thigh muscle and it won't happen again" foolishness that I hear from most therapy professionals. Rehab people are usually full of **** - hence no REAL medical degree involved with their ilk.

I am not too worried though. Most people in my family bite the dust pretty young, so hopefully it will all take care of itself.
I have had the exact same issues with my patealla since childhood as well. I had the patella realignment surgery on April 17, 2009. It is a major surgery, but is an outpatient procedure. I was in alot of pain the day after my surgery, but am now very happy with the results. I was on crutches for six weeks, with the first week being the most difficult. It has been less than three months since the surgery and I've already started running short distances. Stairs, squatting, and sitting for long periods no longer bother me. I cannot wait to see the long term results. And my scarring is minimal. I had a 3" incision just below the knee cap, and two small incisions for the scope. The scars are healing nicely.

As long as you go to a good sports medicine orthapaedic, and do your physical therapy daily, recovery is not too bad. If this is something you've battled with for a long time, I would recommend the surgery. As far as the fibromyalgia goes, I cannot speak to that. I hope this helps.
I had the Elmslie Trilliat Proedure & patella stabilisation in January 2009 to my right knee. I was in hospital for a full week. The day of my surgery I was very nervous. I remember coming too and was in a lot of pain.  My leg wasn't chalked up but just wrapped heavily in bandages with a drain poking out the side.  The following day, I was sent to the plaster room.  Shows how much the read your notes b4 commencing any work on you. The top o my shin had just been broken.  The plaster woman raised my leg by holding the back of my knee so my shin flopped down.  I tell you what I have never ever felt pain like it in my life. I screamed & sobbed for hours after.  Whilst I was in the cast, and I returned home after the week in hospital, I was in pain but my leg felt secure.  I was in that cast for 12 weeks.  They took it off and put me in a restricted leg brace to 30 degrees.  It was very painful and the scars looked very nasty. But they did die down once the inflamation (inflammation) was under control (but not gone).  After another few months, they put me in another leg brace just for support.  It is now Jan 2011, and I still can't get in/out of the bath unaided; sit/stand for long; walk far; drive far; the pain is unreal.  I have nerve damage down my outer shin and inner thigh which is very painful.  I can't even do a simple leg raise. I shant be having my left leg done, needs to say!  Each to their own, but I am worse off now than before.  Good luck to anyone having this procedure done, I seriously hope it works for you.  Just remember it is a major oporation! x
i am having a patella relignment done in a couple of weeks and im not sure what to expect?? im actually very nervous. my doctor thinks its the right procedure but how do you no? there is no mri or anything that can prove it
I'm having the same thing done as well in 2 weeks, patella realignment surgery on my left knee. I'm getting nervous as well. What kinds of care is needed for post op? I heard there is this machine that will help move your leg but I heard it is painful....so not looking forward to that. Do I get that from the local home medical store? Is it a rental?

-
Just read your posts. I had 5 right knee surgeries. 2 realignment hope your doing well. Hope you get back on track I've been through he'll. Keep your head up
I have this problem due to football injury.
My first surgery was freshman year in college. The next two football seasons I went out with the same injury. My kneecap would come out completely and would have to be put back in. my senior year it happend again and I was told that I would not be able to play anymore. I used a doctor out of Missouri to do my last one since I had to have screws put in.
It has been 4 years now with no problem. except for the soreness after workouts which I expected. I am also involved now in Flag football and basketball Rec. Leagues. I do wear my large Knee Brace on it during activites but has not came out sine the put the screws in.

If you are looking for a great doctor for this i would suggest
Dr. Mark Adams from the university of Missouri
I played football up there and he did a great job on my final knee surgery

The Recovery:
On both of my open knee surgery the recover was very long and Painful
Luckily I had athletic Trainers to guide me through the process.

Let me know if you need any advice post or pre Surgery