Orthopedics Community
Patellofemoral arthritis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Patellofemoral arthritis

I am a 27 year old very active female and I was just diagnosed with Patellofemoral arthritis. I just went to the Surgeon today and I am feeling very discouraged. I feel that I was basically told that there is not much that can be done for my knee other than total knee replacement and the minimum age for total replacement is 40 years old. I have a lot of other things wrong with my knee which I won't go into detail about, but these limit my options as far as what I can do. I guess I was hoping to see the Dr and have a solution to my pain and my disability. Ive gotten to the point where I can't walk stairs, can't do any activity what-so-ever other than walking. I'm feeling hopeless because I really enjoy working out and I consider myself an athlete for life. I'm wondering if anyone else has been through this and has any hope or uplifting words to help me get past this disappointing news.
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. Management in patellofemoral arthritis is largely dependent on the severity of the condition and joint replacement is reserved for severe cases. In mild to moderate cases or in cases where joint replacement is not feasible, a conservative approach with rest, anti-inflammatory medication and physiotherapy to strengthen the muscles around the knee joint. Pin management may be considered in cases where other conservative modes of management have not been effective. I would suggest discussing the situation, the suggested management plan and the expected prognosis in detail with your treating orthopedician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!