Orthopedics Community
Persistent pain after calcaneus shattered

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I shattered my calcaneous almost five years ago, no surgery required but I wore a cast for two months.  I haven't had a pain-free day since.  The area on the outside of my ankle remains swollen, worsening sometimes to the point of severe limping and pain at the end of a day of work which involves lots of standing on my feet.  Amateur investigation on my part leads me to suspect that there's some problem with the peroneus longus and how it interacts with the disturbed bone of the calcaneus.

I've been to the acupuncturist and seen an MD.  Recently had new x-rays that show no abnormalities.  The MD thinks I should get an MRI, but I have no insurance and this would be an extremely expensive thing that may or may not find a solution to my problem.  

My question is:  has anyone else experienced these types of lingering problems following a shattered calcaneus, and have you found any relief from the pain and swelling?
Hello Dear,
Late complications after calcaneal fracture usually resulted in lateral heel pain. Malunion of joint depressed type calcaneal fracture can result in posterior ankle impingement pain. This is caused by the posterior calcaneal bone spike formed just behind the posterior calcaneal facet. We describe a technique to resect the offending posterior calcaneal bone spike to relieve the posterior ankle impingement pain.
You should get it evaluated .
Refer http://www.springerlink.com/content/x270462825883m35/
Best
Suffered a shattered calcaneous following an IED explosion in Iraq in 2006. Been on every pain med out there, tried every therapy, electric stimulators and nerve blocks. Still waiting on pain relief.  Pain is least severe when laying down with foot elevated, but I'm 27 and will not be confined to a bed or chair. Pain progressively gets worse throughout the day along with swelling around the ankle and sensitivity around heel area. Currently pursuing any last ditch options before amputation.

Cpl Hackler USMC(Ret)
In 1995 I ended up with a Comminuted fracture calcaneus, 17 years later I still have daily pain, stiffness, but I have learnt to ignore it. I had surgery done with the plates, screws and live coral, first 2 to 3 years was really bad, however I was very scared of addiction to pain meds so I opted to tuff it out. Today I play golf, tennis, Aikido and ski which definetly beats the alternative.