Orthopedics Community
Pinky / little finger aches without cause.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Last year around December i went to the hospital with a similar problem to the one i am experiencing now. I woke up one morning with slight pain in my right pinky (smallest/little finger), and over a 4 day period the pain grew from mild to severe, and the finger had swollen at the lower joint. The doctor assumed i had gotten an insect bite at the lower joint of my pinky and I didn't notice. (although there was no mark/s or anything to indicate this was the issue) and gave me an injection (Antihistamine, i think) and some pain killers. After that, the pain and swelling in my pinky went away in about 2 days.

Last Saturday morning, not long after i woke up, i noticed a slight pain in my pinky finger on my left hand. Sunday my pinky seemed a bit more sensitive to touch, felt a bit heavy and pained slightly. This morning i woke up to my pinky being even more sensitive to touch and painful to move and use. The finger feels sluggish, stiff and hurts whenever i make a fist, extend my palm or use my left hand at all. These are the exact symptoms i had had last December, and I know for a fact that I didn't get an insect bite or anything like that.

I am 23 years old, do not have any STDs, and no one else in my family has experienced anything like this. i did not sprain or hurt the finger at all since i am not very active and didn't engage in any activity that might cause my pinky to hurt. I don't even type that often, and i didnt sleep badly on the arm at all.

So my question is: What could be a possible cause of my pinky aches ("first on my right and then my left hand")?
Sounds like you might have trigger finger. I have symptoms in both pinkies.