Orthopedics Community
Pinky Fracture: What to do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Pinky Fracture: What to do?

As the topic suggests, my pinky is fractured. It was originally thought to be a dislocation, but after further investigation of the X-Ray, I found out that it ws a slight fracture (Or so my dad says). I questioned him about it, and he said that we are going to be going to the orthapedist in about 5 days, and I just want to know a few things.

I do not have complete mobility of my pinky right now. It's able to go from straight to 165 degrees angled. Now it barely gets to 90 degrees without pain. Willl I need to excercise the finger for it to have full movement, or should I just let it heal.

Also, I have had my pinky taped up for a while. I only did a small tape to another finger, and now due to the news, I taped it up completely to the other finger, so the pinky doesn't move at all. The doctor gave me a splint, but the splint doesn't feel right when playing football, and I can't catch properly. Should I keep the full tape on, or should I place the splint on....(I know what you are going to say, but is it possible if I can just tape the entire finger to the left ring finger and use it as a "Tape" cast of sorts?)

And what is the approxomite time for this fracture to heal? Sottomg around with a screwed up pinky isn't exactly the best thing for a teen.

Well, thanks for reading and thanks in advanced for the replies.
Three weeks ago I injured my pinky finger.  The knuckle is swollen and has a funny color to it. I am wearing a splint.  I didn't go to the dr. as everyone says he will splint it too.  What should I do?