Orthopedics Community
Pinky and ring finger joints hurt when writing/typing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

after about 15 minutes of writing or typing the joints in the right side of my right hand (my writing hand) begin to really hurt and it becomes hard to write or really do anything. It's not the same as the normal cramp you will get in your hand from writing too much because this usually happens pretty quickly and it's only in the joints for about an hour and then I'll start getting cramps in that hand (down the pinky finger to the wrist). The doctor told me last year that I possibly have Rheumatoid arthritis, but further test have to be done.    
I'm 18, a female, and going to uni in less than a month, and I don't know what to do to get this pain to stop. Any suggestions? I was looking into those gloves you can buy to ease the pain of arthritis in your hands, but I don't even know if it is arthritis, and I was kind of hoping for something that would actually fix the pain a bit better?

Anyway, thanks for any help :)
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

The most important thing is to rule out Rheumatoid arthritis or other forms of arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome.

I would suggest you to undergo Rheumatoid factor estimation and all the required blood work done.

I would suggest you for an X-ray which will diagnose and bony involvement or changes in your phalanges and metacarpals and to follow up with an orthopedician.

If there is no medical condition you can start physiotherapy to increase the strength of your fingers.

Take care!