Orthopedics Community
Pins and Needles/aching several weeks after surgery to remove hardware ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Pins and Needles/aching several weeks after surgery to remove hardware from ankle

Hello, Three and half years ago, I had an accident resulting in an open fracture of my right ankle and had to have surgery to insert a plate and several screws. After recovering from this I had no real issues for about two years, except a small amount of pain when I walked. However from last year the pain increased signficantly and I had real difficulty walking or standing for any length of time. The consultant recommended having the hardware removed and after quite a lot of careful consideration (as I did not want to go through another surgery. I decided to have the surgery. The surgery was a month ago and it went fairly well. I was not put under GA, but and injection was given in my back to numb the whole lower part of the body. For two and half weeks after the surgery I was fine except for the post surgery pain. However in the last two weeks, I have been suffering horrendous pins and needles in the foot, the side of the ankle is quite painful and continuous aching. What could be causing this, need help!