Orthopedics Community
Plantar Fasciitis and achey(achy) Calf

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Plantar Fasciitis and achey(achy) Calf

About a month and a half ago I started have left foot pain on the heel and sometimes in the arch. At the time. I did a tremendous amount of walking, stair climbing at work (Mail man). As of a week and a half ago, I'm now on a 3/4 driving route. Very little walking. It hurt really bad in the morning. The pain was fairly extreme. This past Tuesdsy I, finally,  went to a Podiatrist and he told me I had Plantar Fasciitis. It was, literally, affecting the way I walked. He gave me a cortisone shot and it has helped a lot. The only problem now is my calf muscle is still achy. It started aching about 1 week prior to seeing the poditrist. Could this be from the way I was walking? I asked him that and he said possibly. One thing is I do have a Sciatica history, but this foot pain was different. If I do the calf stretches, Will that help? I'm, more or lesd, just crippling around. The shot did help but it took about 2 days and I still have slight pain in the heel. Any kind of shared experience with this would be greatly appreciated.  
My wife wanted me to add that I have no swelling,  at all, in my left leg, calf or ankle.  
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems.  If possible consult a sports injury center. This is equipped with treatment options for plantar fasciitis. You can try acupressure and wear soft padded footwear preferably slip-ons and not shoes. You can also try foot wear with soles designed according to pressure points. Also when you are standing keep changing the position, lift your foot off the ground for sometime and let your foot bear the body weight alternatively. If possible keep a small stool nearby on which you can rest your foot from time to time.
There are various other things you can try such as especially designed insoles, night splints and wraps. Besides this there are various massage therapies, stretch exercises, and pressure point stimulation by trained specialists.
The calf pain may be linked to foot pain. It could also be due to Achilles tendonitis, deep vein thrombosis (less likely), intermittent claudication, pinched nerve in lower back or due to dehydration.
Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.