Pleural effusion
Hi this is raj here.
I was running fever and cough for around 10 days. I had pain in let side of my chest while coughing or breathing. Then in x-ray of chest it was found out that it was pleural effusion at the left lung side. Around 150 ml of fluid was tapped by doctor and TB infection was suspected. I had no sputum while coughing, not enough to give for lab tests. Tapped fluid was sent for tests which showed absance of Acid Fast Bacilli.... means no TB infection. Now after 5 days from tapping the second x-ray showed increase in effusion. Gold test was done which also came as negative for TB. Now doctor says that many times it's not easy to detect TB infection but clinical evidences to be trusted. I am on TB medication and I am still not sure whether I am infected or not. After tapping the fever is gone and pain and cough as well. Now when even  the effusion is more there is no fever or pain. But effusion is increased.
somebody please help to know that what can be the reasons of this effusions? What is the possibility of it being TB? What is the process to treat this?  
     How are you? Pleural effusions are common in Tuberculosis, malignancies(primaries or secondaries), other pulmonary infections, HIV etc. Diagnosis of TB can be made by combination of clinical features, history of exposure and lab tests. AFB is found positive in very few patients. Most patients are treated empirically. The common symptoms of Tb are night sweats, fever, weight loss and cough, chest pain, dyspnea etc.
Measurement of adenosine deaminase and interferon-γ in the pleural fluid and polymerase chain reaction for M tuberculosis has gained wide acceptance in the diagnosis of TB pleural effusions.
Discuss with your doctor regarding these tests and follow his advise.
Best.