Orthopedics Community
Pleural effusion
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pleural effusion

Hi this is raj here.
I was running fever and cough for around 10 days. I had pain in let side of my chest while coughing or breathing. Then in x-ray of chest it was found out that it was pleural effusion at the left lung side. Around 150 ml of fluid was tapped by doctor and TB infection was suspected. I had no sputum while coughing, not enough to give for lab tests. Tapped fluid was sent for tests which showed absance of Acid Fast Bacilli.... means no TB infection. Now after 5 days from tapping the second x-ray showed increase in effusion. Gold test was done which also came as negative for TB. Now doctor says that many times it's not easy to detect TB infection but clinical evidences to be trusted. I am on TB medication and I am still not sure whether I am infected or not. After tapping the fever is gone and pain and cough as well. Now when even  the effusion is more there is no fever or pain. But effusion is increased.
somebody please help to know that what can be the reasons of this effusions? What is the possibility of it being TB? What is the process to treat this?