Orthopedics Community
Popping, tingling, burning, numbness in right thigh

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I had a micro discectomy done two years ago on L5/S1.  It has been a very successful surgery so far.  However, recently I have been noticing a popping feeling under my skin on my right thigh.  After this it tingles/burns for a quick second.  Right above my knee to about mid thigh on the outer part of my leg is numb.  I am wondering if this could be happening because of the back injury.  Anyone else ever experienced this after having a micro discectomy to repair a herniated disc?  I'm just not sure if I should go back to my surgeon or start with another family practice doctor and get bounced around again until they will finally do something about it.  I'm leaning towards going straight to the surgeon as if they feel I need an MRI done again, they will order it without any grief that normal family practice doctors give you.

Please let me know if any of you have experienced this as well.

Thanks so much!
Hi there!

Well, without an evaluation it would be difficult to predict the cause of the sensation, though it sound more like a muscular/ tendon issue with possible nerve involvement which may or may not be related to the spinal degeneration. With associated numbness a neural component is more likely. Though you could begin an evaluation with a family physician this would ultimately require an evaluation by a neurologist or an orthopedician. You could directly see your orthopedic surgeon as well.
Hope this was useful.

Take care!
Well I went and saw my surgeon's PA.  She didn't think it was related to my back, and really had nothing to offer.  Other than saying if I wasn't in excrutiating pain all the time they pretty much ignore numbness, but if it doesn't get better to come back.  This is the one reason why I don't go to the doctor that is the answer they always give, come back if it don't get better.  Well something is wrong and I'm there now, so figure it out!  

I can not sleep on my back or my side because my leg will wake me up because it hurts and is totally numb.  The popping seems to occur when I lift my opposite leg to shave, and I've also noticed the popping sensation walking down the stairs.  I've noticed it other times like twisting or even when I'm just standing still.  

I guess I will wait until it's unbearable or I can't walk and go back in and then maybe then some one might care to do a more thorough evaluation to see what it might be.
Hi again!

Frankly speaking I would suggest seeing a neurologist about this, rather than waiting for the situation to get painful. If your orthopedician believes that this is unlikely to be an issue related to the spine, a neurologist may be in a better position to evaluate for the numbness and appropriate management. The popping sensation could be related to dislocation, joint laxity or secondary to causes associated with locked knee such as meniscal tears, fractured fragments, loose bodies, patellar displacement, muscular issues etc. and may need an orthopedic evaluation.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!