Orthopedics Community
Popping/cracking in wrist

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Popping/cracking in wrist

About 2 weeks ago I went to lift a heavy object and heard a pop in my wrist and felt a lot of discomfort/pain immediately afterward.  I went to the ER the following day and they said it was a wrist sprain, provided a splint and said to take Tylenol or Motrin for the pain and follow up with my PCM in 5-7 days.  I went to my PCM and told them the pain wasn't so much in my wrist but running from the base of my pinky finger down to the mid portion of my forearm and was especially painful when I rotated my arm.  My PCM said it sounded like tendinitis, wrapped my forearm in an ace bandage and gave me a narcotic for the pain.  A week later I am experiencing continued pain and a constant "popping", "cracking" sound and pain with several movements.  I went back to my PCM and they again said it was a sprain, sent me for a different splint and said it would take 8 weeks to correct itself and gave me Motrin.  The PT person fitting me for the splint did more range of motion testing and questioning than the physicians and flat out told me that the splint was probably not going to work but wouldn't name what he thought the issue was.  I'm frustrated and trying to do my own research to come up with possible answers.  Can someone point me in the right direction as to what this injury may be?
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Assuming fractures have been ruled out; possibilities that may need to be considered include injuries to ligaments/ tendons, inflammation, neuro-muscular causes, dislocations etc. It may take a few days for the discomfort to settle from a ligament injury/ sprain. I would suggest considering a detailed evaluation by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Meanwhile I would suggest resting the wrist. Tylenol/ OTC NSAIDS may be helpful for pain relief.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!