Popping knee, pain and patella
My 12 yr old son landed a jump badly and fell at a dance competition. His knee popped out and he pushed it back in and carried on. The following week after another comp he had a lot of pain and his knee was visibly popping when he walked. since then he has had muscle spasms, pins and needles, cracking and locking up of the knee,
He had a straight knee splint for a week, then a knee brace which didnt help and has now been put in plaster from thigh to ankle to immoblise the knee.
The ortho dr said he sprained his knee and soft tissues and has loose joints and more prone to this kind of thing.
Another ortho dr said his patella was loose and again soft tissue damage. when I asked how long it would take to mend I was given a shoulder shrug.
Any advice would be greatly accepted. Especially what is causing the spasms, pins needles.
thanks
Dear Mom,
Your son should have been referred to outpatient orthopedic physical therapy.  
Call back and tell them you want a consult.  
There are alot of things the PTs can do to help the problem heal faster and will decrease the pain symptoms
susan122
Hello!

The most important thing here is to diagnose any knee ligament damage after the incident.

Follow up with a pediatric orthopedician and go for an MRI scan.

Check if his cruciates, collaterals and menisci are intact. If there is no bone damage and ligament damage then with rest followed by physiotherapy the healing will complete.  If there is ligament damage then he needs to wear a brace and follow up with physiotherapy.

Take care!
Thank you for your help. There was no break on the x ray they originally gave him, The knee cap dislocated several times over the following 3 weeks (when he wore a brace)after the x ray, so the cast was put on but no repeat x ray was performed. I will check back to this forum for help as it goes on, it's nice to know there is someone listeneing!
I dislocated my knee cap badly a few weeks ago while i was on holiday. I was told by the specialist that i have snapped the ligaments and my leg was to be in a cast from thigh to ankle for 6 weeks before physio started if the ligaments healed, if they didnt heal i would need surgery to put fake ones in. When i got home the cast had slipped and i hadnt got the notes sent through so i went up to A & E to see what they said and they have changed me to a leg brace. This doesnt feel half as supportive as my knee keeps moving in the splint as i cant keep it straight as my knee keeps swelling up alot. I'm also getting a lot of knee and leg pain aswell as knee spasms and pins and needles. I'm worried i should still be in a cast as the specialist was so adament about it. Should i be worried and ask for another opinion?? Im still waiting for another hospital appointment.