Post Operative knee replacement, ongoing pain, please help
My husband who is 70 had a total knee replacement 6 weeks ago and the pain seems to be intensifying rather than diminishing.  He had a childhood injury to this knee, then another operation 13 years ago but is crying with the pain most of the time and has gone from ordinary pain killers to needing morphine.   He has physiotherapy 3 times per week, also hydrotherapy and acupuncture, they all say he is making some progress but very slowly and keep telling him exercising will relieve the pain.
He can walk around the house for short periods without either crutches or a stick so has some function but the pain seems unrelenting and is affecting his life quite seriously (and mine).
He says the pain now is worse than prior to the operation and I am wondering if this is normal.   It is so painful he cannot do the exercises as he should and the knee is very swollen and tight.  

He has seen the general practitioner who is managing the pain but I am wondering if this is how it should be or if something is going off track and we should be seeing the surgeon for a follow-up.  Thank you if anybody can help me.
I have read all the above posts relating to ongoing pain after a total knee replacement and have a slight twist regarding surgical (non) explanations as to why it may be happening.

I had my TKR in Jan 2011 and went back to work in Sep 2011.After 18 months of non stop pain I had to stop work again and had revision surgery (5 months ago in the hope of finding a problem. The surgeon said the lower half of the joint may have been a little out of line so all should be good from here on.

5 months later the problem remains with a continual knee ache that gets more and more intense if I don't get of it. Nothing prescribed makes any difference so today I went back to surgeon for followup appointment to inform him of no change situation.

His explanation now is that I am now depressed and centering all my thoughts on my knee. He told me I need to go back to work to take my mind of the pain which will subside as I learn not to think about it!

I'm still spinning from this and wondering whats the point? He seems to have forgotten I have already gone back to work once 9 months after the initial tkr but had to stop work 11 months later because the unrelenting pain was overpowering me.

Now 2.5 years later and the situation is starting to depress me suddenly the cause of all my ongoing pain is my depression!

How handy an excuse is that? Obviously hasn't stopped to wonder what may be causing the depression

Bloody doctors!
It's been almost 4 months since my surgery, I still feel that burning. I was told it's tissue pain. I use a transdermal cream from the surgeon, does help alittle,It does feel like it should be red, but it's not.. I also have pain in my ankle since the suirgery.  The clicking in my knee drives me crazy. Good luck
I had a left TKR in September 2012, I am still having a significant amount of pain where the implant goes into my tibia, and when walking a lot of pain in my knee cap. From day one my knee continues to buckle several times a day resulting in me falling a few times, quite a few times since the surgery. One thing I have noticed is that if I tap on my knee cap there is a tremendous amoount of space between my knee cap and new joint. If you tap on it it sounds like you could play "the spoons" on my knee cap. Every one I have talked to has never seen that including my PT. The PT says my kneecap is not tracking straight and the play in my kneecap is causing my knee to buckle. My OS says give it time. My left knee is shot also and needs replaced and this is causing even more stress on my left knee. Can anyone tell me about this slap or play in my kneecap. I am still walking with a cane, when I go to my OS office they question me on why I am still using the cane. I do not want to fall. Thanks and good luck to all.
I am going on one year post op and am still in a lot of pain.  I had both done and it is still uncomfortable.  My right knee gives out and most days pain level is 7 or 8.  If anyone has suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Has anyone tried acupuncture or a holistic approach.,  I would be very interested.  
I suffered from severe osteoarthritis for years..became hooked on opiates..I was 43 years old and they kept telling me they wouldn't give me knee replacements until I was 50..Our state's policy????? Now I have had 2 knees done..and now the only pain relief for me is being taken off the benefit list. As I also have epilepsy, I cannot tolerate other certain pain medications. They told me I had the knees of a 90 year old. My worst knee was operated on 5 times..sort of a holding pattern before they replaced it..I have a very low tolerance to pain and my doctor says " get over it..I have a sore back and I come to work everyday."Only 2 people in this city are allowed to prescribe these meds so I am stuck with him until I am forced off them. the government are saying " We must get these people off these habit forming drugs for their own good..but the truth is, the cost to the government. Now what?? Do they wish us to suicide when your quality of life is so low due to constant pain?? It would certainly save the bastards money!!
Whoops..That was a bit angry. But budget cuts to our health system..an oxymoron in itself..has caused long waiting lists.. Was working hard earning good money, now I am treated like a second class citizen. 3-4 years of post operative pain can make you go a little crazy..went through depression..the meds piled on the kgs fast, which did not help with the pain in my legs..After waiting until I was old enough to have surgery??? about 7 years, I thought my problems were over when my name came up for my knee replacements..Now I am socially isolated due to the fact that I cannot sleep..and after an hour or so on my feet, my knees swell so much that I walk away stiff legged. Sorry if I cannot help anybody with my rant ..but I have no answers..the health system is overflowing ..and I am just a number.
I just read your post and am currently waiting in the hospital for my Dad's 5 knee surgery on the left knee.  You described a lot of what he is going through.  His Dr. said he couldn't doing anything more for him.  What happened in your case.
I had total knee replacements both knees same day.  Many bad thing occurred there was a student anesthesia dr in room he pace too much of wrong medication in my spinal which caused me to be in ICU for thre days un moving concern was heart racing and breathing bad,  I started experiencing extreme pain which cause no one knew how to handle finally they determined by test the I had pulimary embellish close to lung.  I was on bed rest not to move and given medicine to break the clot.  Once safe I started therapy.  Scar tissue had formed and legs didnt move far.  I had to have two surgeries where they broke these tissues. During last surfy they had problems with spinal and had to receive two blood patches.  I am continually in pain which has increased over years.  I am afraid of doctors or any other surgery.  I had difficulty walking or standing still for any amount of time.  I don't know what to do regarding the situation or if I should just live.  Because of pain and inability to move alot I have experienced increased depression.  I'm confused as to what I should do....
Hey guys I am in a torn state with you all,I had my left total knee done this past March and I also exceeded my docs and of expectations I am 49 6'6" 289 down from 330, which was a huge help, I am having the dull deep bone pain and the sudden violent stabbing pain sessions however my doc says yes it's normal, his best layman term was "how do you think it would feel knowing I drilled into your bone,hammered steel in place then manipulated your knee to point muscle pulled?" My answer was oh ok all I can say is watch a tkr on you tube and you will see why it still hurts as far as meds my doc hands them over. But I asked to go down from Percocet to vicadine and it with a Motrin eases it to live btw I had 10 knee surgeries on same knee before agreeing to tkr so in a way a lot of my pain and slow recovery is on me so I work harder I am also at 10 weeks post open and free of pt cause of the effort and a great Dr.
I had a total knee replacement 4 months ago. I was in severe pain because the swelling was putting pressure on the nerves that was starting to rejuvenate after the surgery. Last week I started taking Indocin for gout. In one day my swelling was cut in half. After one week my swelling is nearly gone. I still exercise & workout daily. I'm 42 yrs old and I'm doing very well. I had a full range of motion my 5th week after surgery. I went back to work 14 weeks after surgery & I thought I was going to go back out on medical leave due to the constant pain and swelling. I had nothing to lose so I started the Indocin. It caused diarrhea at first but that went away in two days!
I am 18mths  post surgery and still experiencing problems especially when walking and I too am only able to walk a short distance. Standing is very painful and yes the muscle at  the back of my leg is painful when sitting or driving. The tightnes and tension is indescribable and the whole experience has been such a challenge. I can bend my leg well but fully straightening is difficult and doesnt  straighten when I walk of stand. 8 wks after surgery I went back into hospital for manipulation and after a few months was able to bend the knee. I repeatedly exercise (have tried it without) but either way nothing seems  to help. I am at the end
of my tether. Hope this will help.

My husband is in the same predicament. He does not like the way his pain mess make him feel even though they take care of the pain. We are trying to find a natural or herbal relief for his pain. If anyone has  suggestions they are gladly welcome & greatly appreciated!
I'm 43, had left tka done 7 weeks ago, a week after it I had to go back in and have surgery to drain it because I began bleeding internally and it got massively swollen, my lower leg was numb due to swelling and the pain was unreal. I have never experienced such pain before or since.
I had two scopes before, also shots of cortisone and a lubricant medicine, without relief, had fallen down stairs at 37 and got worse and worse.
At the end could only stand ten minutes at a time, constant pain. Unable to work as an RN since December so I've wasted four years of college. Selling our business and sold my farm because I have no source of income now.
My range of motion and strength is fantastic....bending to 118 degrees, within 4 cm of being able to get it flat. Still have constant pain. My limping and falling has torn out my ACL and meniscus in the other one, scoping did not relieve it, and the surgeon says my knees are bone on bone. No longer need Percocet, but take Vicodin still, about out so will have to call again, I take 7.5 mg 1-2 prn....I take anywhere from one to a maximum of 6-8 or so on a bad day. Also take anti-inflammatory medicine and antidepressant.
I still cannot clean house, cook, work, or do anything. Can't shop. Can't have it down much. Must either be in recliner with ice on it, or in bed.
Bitterly depressed and have little to no hope I will ever be pain free. No longer require walker or cane, can go up and down stairs, but I hurt all the time. This is my first experience with pain beyond a headache/tylenol kind of thing. Wish they would have done more sooner.
OH man, I feel for u, I am five weeks post-op and not progressed as far as I would like to be, although the Flexinator machine is helping tremendously with pain and flexion mngmnt. It is torture to use but the rewards outweigh the pain whilst using it. I started swimming last week and it has helped tremendously as well. take your meds and go to PT. Work thru the pain and know we have all been there and we all feel ur pain ...

Ive had two ACL replacement surgeries and meniscus implant surgeries before having had the TKR, I thought TKR would be easy and "a piece of cake". In actuality, it takes ALOT of work and ALOT of self motivation to keep going. The flip side of the coin is to give up and be incapacitated for life.

I choose to do whatever it takes and to grit my teeth and bear it, although I have my dark moments of despair and discontent...be aware that this is normal and choose to see the glass as half full and get to work!!

I have to go torture myself with the Flexinator now but I wouldn't have it any other way as I see progress, as slow as it is...

Oh, and don't forget your pain pills!!

Good luck!!! Peace...GET WELL
My TKA took place on June 26. Up until late September I was still on narcotics for pain.  I worked through it all, the horrible pain, discomfort and sleepnless nights up until recently.  One thing I am not reading in many of the messages is how important it is to find a physical therapist who understands how to correct gait and body mechanics.  The disease that took our mobility also effected the way we move and the operation does not actually correct bad habits.  No amount of exercise will correct these totally.  Most PT's either don't have time to address poor body mechanics or they have little experience with it. Usually, they are into excercise, ice and stimulation machines.  Some do pilates but that too does not correct bad body mechanics. As long as the doctor can confirm that your knee remains in good mechanical alignment, and there is no infection, then that leaves body mechanics.  If your PT does not want to watch you walk during the first visit, then find someone who will and can communicate how to correct poor ambulation skills.  Also, the lumbar spine, specifically L4/L5, can refer pain into the knee, causing incredible discomfort;  this will also effect how you preceive the success of the TKA.  The PT should know this and should treat you for this.  Do not give up on your nursing career just because of your setbacks.   All of us who have had a TKA have had setbacks, pain, doubt and yes, some disappointment.  It is major surgery. I can only encourage you to work through them. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
I had a total knee replacement 6 yrs ago.  It was surgery #6 on the knee. In the first 6 mos. following the surgery I had a manipulation procedure and another procedure to remove excess scar tissue. The pain levels have gradually increased over the years to now be more than they were prior to the replacement.  I had pt for 11 mos. following the initial replacement.  I have tried a variety of prescription pain killers and none are effective.  I am no longer taking any.  I have difficulty sitting, walking or sleeping more than 2 hours at a time.  I have seen 3 different orthopedic surgeons.  None have been able to come up with any solutions or suggestions that work.  Any suggestions, ideas, etc.?
Thanks.
I have the same problem you mentioned.  I could be sitting on the couch with my leg elevated.  I fall asleep and suddenly I feel a snap at the back of my knee.  It wakes me up immediately and I have to move the leg around to get rid of the pain.  This happens at night sometimes when I am sleeping.  The leg all the sudden snaps in the back of the knee and.  I have not told my surgeon so I may have to make an appointment to see him and see what he says.  Have you found a solution to this problem.
I had tkr 10weeks ago and the pain is now worse than before the operation.  started off well for the first 5 weeks,then slowly deteriorated until I can now hardly walk more than a few steps at a time.2 doctors have told me it,so quite normal but I persisted and have managed to get an appointment with the surgeon who did the operation this week. Quite honestly I,my dreading what he is going to diagnose as I think it may be a follow up operation and I hate hospitals
Hi I am sixty one years old and male and I also had my knee replacement six weeks ago and as you say the slightest touch of the duvet or blanket triggers off a whole lot of surface nerve endings across my knee. I had a heart bypass eighteen years ago and my chest was the same for months and even now sometimes when the car seat belt lays across my chest I can feel the old nerve endings burning.
I found that by massaging  a non perfume E45 moisturiser into my whole leg gives me a lot of relief and especially beneficial for me is if I massage my upper leg  from the knee up to my hips and my lower leg from my knee down to my feet, this seems to send the pain away from my knee somehow and is a welcome short period when the pain stops. I am only on paracetamol but use Volterol cream when pain flares up around the sides of my knee and especially at the back of my knee, where the tendons tighten up and hurt. Hope that helps. God bless. Dan
Hi. I was discharged by my Consultant recently after six weeks and have completed my last Physiotherapy session following my knee replacement surgery. I still have a problem with high riser stairs at home but can almost run up and down the shallow rise staircase at the Medical Center without a stick, although I am still in pain with muscle aches and almost unbearable nerve ending tingling around my knee. I am now able to drive but only short hops. However the sleepless night continue....any suggestions welcome?
Best regards to you all.
Danzo

I wrote this letter below to my Consultant to thank him for all that he had done.

Dear Sir
I wanted to update you on the progress of my recent knee replacement which you undertook for me and I am delighted to tell you that everything is healing wonderfully. The knee has as much movement as is possible and I now look forward to going swimming and cycling and enjoying the things (including sea fishing) that previously I was unable to do because of my old crippled arthritic knee.  Obviously there is still a lot of surface inflammation and other factors have hindered me immediately after the operation, such as my arthritic hips and feet, as well as the back pain, which I have endured for so many years but these things are made so much better due to my replacement knee and I am so much happier emotionally and feel better physically also.
People ask me about my knee replacement and I rejoice in being able to give a positive testimony to the benefits of having the operation done but my greatest joy is telling them who it was that undertook my operation and my eyes sparkle with gratitude when I tell them that it was you who did my knee replacement, thank you so very much my friend. I am utterly confident that should my other knee ever need to be done (hopefully not) I would love you to do it for me.

Yours gratefully

I have the " knocking" too ( I call it clunking).  I am at 10 weeks, occasional pain if I overdo it, use a cane to do stairs and outdoors.  Extension 4 degrees and ROM 105.  Told we have to be patient t, but it's hard
My husband had his op just over 5 weeks ago and has experienced the same excruiating pain as you have, he went back to surgeon who said that it was early days and it was a big op!  He could take some paracetamol for the pain.  My husband's physio therapist said it was not the operation is was something
that needed other medication.   We went to our GP and she prescribed some anti-inflammatories.    This has decreased the number of spasms he has had but he still has them.  They are very painful, he is coping with the new knee and has brilliant range of movement and walks about with no crutches or cane, but this pain, mainly in bed is something else!!!!!!!
Hello Dora, Welcome to MedHelp!

I'm sorry to hear about your husbands pain! I (Orthopedic Surgical First Assistant) have assisted on hundreds of this procedures and it is one of those "it takes time" situations.

I am only allowed to give my opinion over the internet, always consult your Orthopod . That being said, I can only suggest a couple of options. Either get a more potent pain med or get in to a Pain Management Clinic. The clinic offers more intense pain management i.e. injections.

I hope the situation improves. Please feel free to contact me for any information/ questions you or your husband may have. I am the Orthopedic Leader for this site.

Best wishes!  JD1963
I am glad I found this, sometimes you think you are the only one feeling like this. I had my left knee replaced Nov.1 and my right replaced Dec 15 of 2013 so I am 5 and 6 months post op. I still have stiffness in both but only have pain in the left.  I have pain that makes me limp about half of the time and I hate that I had my knees replaced because I did not want to limp. I have only take ibuprofen ( even in the hospital) my Dr told me recovery takes a year I just didn't believe it. I am 59 and in great shape (well I was) any suggestions from anyone on the limp?
I was reading the comments on this site just to find the same answers. I have two replacements. First one in 07 and the other in 09, All of a sudden the latter one is starting to hurt me. It gets stiff and in lots of pain when I sit for a while or even if I stand in on place. when I wake up I can hardly walk on it. I too have developed back and hip pain, so I understand what you are saying about always in pain. If you find a relation to all of this please let me know.
My first knee replacement was done in 2003. I never recovered from the operation. I was 58 years old them. My life was ruined. I underwent a "repair" in 2006 which was a replacing the first one. It was surpassingly a solution. It was not'. The right knee joint was almost gone and once again I was told that this new joint would be custom made for my right knee. It too has failed. My life now is nonexistent. I have pain and swelling every single day, 24 hours a day.  Up until 3 months ago I would get steroid shots which were my only source of relief but Medicare will no longer pay for them and they are now deemed dangerous for people with prosthetic joints. I am doomed to a life of pain and suffering. I can’t walk or do any type of exercise. I have gained more than 30 pounds. I am in danger of getting diabetes, high blood pressure and look forward to being addicted to Oxycontin for the rest of my life. Now I am told that doctors believe I have arthritis in my muscles and ligaments that are attached to or surrounding my titanium knee replacements. Are they crazy? Arthritis by definition a joint disease, not a metal disease. I know what you are going through. I pray that God gives a doctor the healing gift to help people like us, some relief in the future. If not for me, then I pray that it happens to you.
I had a total left knee replacement 17 months ago.  I kept telling the doctor that the knee and the side of my calf was burning.  He didn't know what that was.  I told him the leg was shorter than the other, he said everyone says that.  Well 6 months of therapy, no help.  6 months ago new doctor right knee replacement.  better than left. measured the left knee and sure enough shorter.  He suggested I go to a plastic surgeon for the left knee for an excision of neuroma.  Had that two weeks ago, don't bother nothing if not worse.  I cannot walk barefooted because the leg is shorter, it burns constantly, sleep with a pillow between my legs, very restless sleep.  Pain pills do not help, just makes me ga ga.  Ruined my life.  I am very depressed.
iT's a poor show ,their is not alot

of advice is given post op ,they can't wait to get you out of your bed and ready for the next patient.
If I was you I'd be back and get it sorted out its,not good enough ,in the private sector it's a licence to print money get you done And  pick up the cash who cares what happens to you when you go home I've had both done four months post op got 120 degrees movement but that's it stopped so I'm thinking scar tissue read up about it ,it stops your new knees from working I'm going for slot of hard sports massage to see if I can break down scar tissue other than that I'm out on the bike three times a day hammering the joints to move alas no joy ,but I will keep it going  got to before the scat tissue heals up altogether watch this space hope you inprove
Had TKR was bad from the first day after surgery. When  After I sit or stand , for just a few minutes it looks like someone placed a tourniquet around the top of my knee. The knee and leg down to the foot will turn red and then purple if I remain on it. The pain is always bad no matter what I do. I stay in the recliner most of the time with leg up and this helps keep the reddish purple color from happening. I had two Doppler's done blood flow seems to be fine.
Like you, I too have still had pain one year and 3 months after double TKAs.  They burn and hurt 8/10 most of the time, especially the right knee, and yet, I've done my PT and knee bending exercises faithfully every day (with only a few days left out).

I have thick keloid scars, which the doc thought accounted for some of my pain and feelings of tightness.  I am considering doing dextrose injections (or even stem cell injections, which uses my own blood) because I've heard that they work!  Very expensive, tho.

The pain is getting worse!  It's always been 7 or 8/10 but now it burns and feels like the inside of my R knee has sustained a painful twisting "sprain."  Yet, I have almost full range of motion.

I can do the knee bending exercises (e.g., stair lunges), my entire routine, which is 20 minutes, ONE time a day.  I'd like to do it morning and night, but it hurts too much.    If I ride a stationary bike for 15 minutes, it hurts so much afterward (even tho I ice it for 20 minutes) that I can't do aerobic exercise for 4-5 days afterwards.

ONE POSSIBLE PAIN CAUSE:  I GAINED 30 POUNDS DURING THE PAST 4 MONTHS. DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT WEIGHT GAIN AS A CAUSE OF PAIN INCREASE IN TKR's?   I had gastric bypass surgery for weight loss 11 years ago and have kept 130 lb off and even lost 40 more!  Now I have gained 30 within 4 months!  It's probably due to the fact that I a food addict and have the stress of starting a new job this July as a Caregiver to an 89-year-old man who is in very poor health and will probably die soon.  I need the money because my husband retired 2 years ago and refuses to work even part-time.  My job is not physical; it is as a companion.  So, I know that I am not overusing my knees.  I take walks outside for up to about 40 minutes at a fairly fast pace.  My client and I eat out twice a week and it's hard not to overeat.

HOW SIGNIFICANT COULD WEIGHT GAIN AFTER DOUBLE TKAs BE AS A FACTOR IN INCREASING THE PAIN?  I NEED TO LOSE ABOUT 50 MORE LB AND FEEL LIKE I CAN'T DO IT.  TRIED EVERYTHING BEFORE WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY AND IT DIDN'T WORK.  THAT'S WHY I DID THE SURGERY.  PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS.  GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SITUATION, TOO.  LOOK INTO STEM CELL/DEXTROSE KNEE INJECTIONS AND GET SEVERAL OPINIONS.
Depression can be an insidious condition.  I had serious depression and anxiety before my TKAs Aug 2013 (done at the same time.)  After surgery, I was still anxious about the same things as I was before but had the added layer of depression about losing my job in Aug 2013 when I told them about the surgery and gave three weeks' notice.

I still have 8/10 knee pain all the time and am going to look into stem cell injections, which I have heard work.  They are expensive, but health is the priority.

Until then, I try to take my mind to "another place" and view the pain as being a good thing, because it means I can still develop more bending in my knee.  If I were to "freeze" like most other patients do 6 months postop, my level of function might not be as good, but I'd be stuck with it for good.

Maybe the following true story would help your perspective.  About five years ago, there was a young medical doctor in America who was rock-climbing and whose arm became trapped in a thin, deep crevase.  No matter how he struggled, he couldn't get it free.  He remained trapped for several days.  He realized that he was in a remote area where it was unlikely he would be found and that he would probably die if he remained there.  So, he made a drastic decision.  He decided to perform "major surgery" on his arm in order to free it and climb back down to safety -- he would AMPUTATE it.

He had a pocket knife and proceeded to cut his arm free from the crevase.  This involved cutting all the way thru his arm and bone.  In other words, he cut off his own hand and lower arm!

How did he tolerate the horror and pain?  He said he took his mind to "another place."  (I don't know where -- a winning million $ lottery stage, a beautiful meadow?)  

Due to the shock of the procedure, he felt less pain than he expected.  He climbed down to a trail and then ran down until he found two hikers who ran ahead for emergency help.

He is now fine and has an artificial hand.

What he did was probably a type of deep meditation and maybe even self-hypnosis.  I don't know what he told himself during the procedure, but you might try researching Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) techniques, since they involve taking negative thoughts and using logic to come up with a more positive thought.  This works wonders for many people who suffer with depression.  I studied it for three years and it changed my life.  Neurofeedback ("biofeedback for the brain") also worked wonders for me; I did it for 2 years on a 2x/week basis.  Afterwards, I used a software at home on my computer to practice the same skills.  The boss asked if I was "doing anything" during my next yearly review.  She said they had all noticed big change in me that lasted.

Whatever method or combination of methods you choose to deal with your depression, rest assured that you are not alone and that the more you do these things (with the help of a profesional) the better you will probably feel.

Good luck.  I'll be thinking of you.
One last comment.  I re-read your post.  You said you wonder what is causing your depression.  That is hard to say.  There can be physical causes if it lasts for a long time and is severe.  I would suggest that you check with a psychiatrist, as sometimes medication can help.  Talk therapy helped me, too.  Maybe get a second and even third opinion until you find someone you trust.

Good luck.
I have exactly the same situation as you.  Please keep us informed about your progress.  I haven't found my answers yet, but am investigating getting stem cell and/or dextrose knee injections.  I also started to always ice my knees after exercising.  I had neglected this for awhile, but have done it every single time for the past week and the pain is less, already.

I, too, am 18 months out.  Had double knee replacements at the same time in August 2013.

Good luck to both of us!
I had left knee TKR on 11/11/14.  Everything went extremely well and pain level never went about a 5 at most.  By week 2 post surgery I was bending knee at 127 degrees and completely walking without a cane or other assistance.  Now all of a sudden I'm getting a feeling of numbness like my entire leg has fallen asleep from the knee down to the foot.  It keeps me awake at night.  Does anyone else experience this same feeling?  It's almost like you've been sitting on the commode for a long time and your leg starts falling asleep.  Thanks for any help
I had TKR on 9/30/14 and I suggest rigorous physical therapy. If you let up it will only get worse. I'm now into my 7th month and I still have some pain and stiffness mainly if I don't do my exercises. If I stay on my feet all day I hurt for two days. I am still very mobile even though I still have to deal with the pain after a long day. I wish I knew the answer to overcoming this, but I have only one suggestion "physical therapy". Good luck.
I had TKR on 11-27-13 and 18 months later, I still have some pain and swelling plus a lot of tenderness on the shin just below the knee. I cannot kneel at all nor can I get up from a low seat or squat, although I can get down into a squatting position. My leg muscle never recovered enough to lift my body back up, however, and I've noticed that the more active I am, the more swelling I have in my leg. The swelling in my left knee makes it almost 2" bigger around than my right knee and my entire left leg is swollen to the point it is between 1" and 2" bigger at most points of measurement, in spite of taking diuretics to keep edema down.

I have noticed that if I go into higher elevation [>5,000 ft] or if I stand for a long time, or if I walk 'too far' in a day, my leg will hurt but I started wearing my TED hose again and that seems to help a lot. The pain seems to be related to swelling and the TED hose help manage that, although I'm not thrilled about wearing them. I told my doctor about the pain and he was not very sympathetic as I'm quite active and in his opinion, I am more active than most people my age [69] so he thinks I'm doing fine - his response was that most people my age are happy to get to the grocery store! But I want to enjoy hiking and other activities so that's not a very satisfactory answer as far as I'm concerned!

I do take Diclofenac Sodium twice a day [strong anti-inflammatory] and that helps with the pain but I worry about side effects as it can damage liver and stomach - I take Vicodin when the pain is too much for the Diclofenac to manage - and it hurts less when I am sedentary but that has its own bad side effects so it seems like there are no good options!! The doctor first told me things would probably get better by one year - then at one year, he said 18 months - now that we're at 18 months, he just says "It's a long, hard recovery for some people."

The good news is that I do have great range of motion and I can walk around much more than I could before the TKR, which had me nearly bedridden before surgery. The pain is somewhat less each month than the month before so maybe if I live long enough, I'll see the day when it's gone. I have other friends who have told me it took 2-3 years before they were really able to resume hiking and their FULL active life and have a few friends who had to 'retire' from some of their more strenuous activities and learn to enjoy a quieter life.
Hi,I am 6 weeks post op tkr,my question is there supposed to be swelling under knee that hurts,mostly at night with painful swelling ?Doc has me on fantanyi 50 mcg/hr with oxycodone 10 /325 ,still not able to extend to 0 degrees,but flex is improving .Ive read alot about infection being possible ,what blood test do i need to requst from my primary doc to rule infection ? Still feel pain  with pain meds?Never been so depressed in my life ,doing all stretches and ice,elavation, does this get better.
I am now going on 20 months this week, I have very very bad burning  from my knee cap down the front of leg and to and  angle, my leg is stiff with swelling by night time, can not sleep, I am in my house all the time ,because I have trouble walking ,so I just stay in, went  to 3 th DR,last week to check my leg, he said no problem,,,now, I think pain, swelling, is not just no problem, anyone out there having problems like this ????   Dee
Makoplasty PKR 12 weeks ago.  Did very well for 6 weeks - much worse since then.  ROM 135/3 but gets very stiff with any use. Walking great at week 6 but difficult now due to stiffness.  No infection. Was doing PT each day but now have stopped PT and trying to give it plenty of rest.  Ice 4X/day at least. Help!  
I had my left knee replaced 20 months ago and also still have pain and stiffness. Yoga has helped but I still have pain and stiffness when sitting, or standing or after light gardening, like pulling weeds. All the Drs and xrays show nothing wrong.I'm going back to may earlier sports Dr. that does dextrose prolotherapy. It helped before I had the surgery. He also uses a hi dose vit D cream and a new dextrose cream for followup treatment.  There is a lot of research out there about this treatment. Its especially  helpful for nerve damage after surgery which is what most surgeons and other Dr's don't address.  Check it out. Here are a couple of good sites
http://www.jointandspine.com/prolotherapy/neural-prolotherapy/
http://www.drreeves.com/Introduction
Search for prolotherapy in you area
You are the first person who described the same pain I had.  I had a TKR in June and was in pt until end of October.  My Leg was crooked before and is straight now, but the pains that shot through my leg were bad!  I attributed a lot of that pain to my hones readjusting to being straight.  Now the dr says he has to go in and put a thicker pad in because I am still swelling 2 yrs post op.  Had complications from NSAIDs and my knee is getting stiffer as it swells.  I had surgery to end my knee pain, but it looks like this is a never ending story.  I am very hesitant to go back for more surgery!
hello I had a tkr in November 2014.  I am havng this severe shin  pain also. I''m on heavy meds to help pain until revision.  I am allergic to the nickel in this implant.  I understand the knee hurting and swelling but this awful shin pain.  Have you or your doctor friend got answers to your extreme shin pain?  any roads you can point me down is appreciated.  My implant is Conformis itotal g2.  he shin pain is excruciating.  Please share anything you've found.
Taking it (and now Percocet, same only stronger) for 8 yrs., never problem sleeping except when I'm stressed.  My Dr. wanted me 2 get sleep, so advised taking what I already take at bedtime (Valium as a muscle relaxer), and (Ativan which shuts down my thought processes that keep me awake).  But this wasn't working due to so many stressors, so she said if after 1 hour in bed, if still asleep to take Benadryl.  Works like a charm.  Once I knew I'd be awake no matter what & took 2 (which Dr. said was fine) and hit me like a rock.  Best night ever, I don't think I ever move.  But have all these meds plus high dose of Gabapentin due 2 my revision TKR, multiple fusions of the spine & bone grafts, ankle surgery & bone grafts, then finally 2 internal Neurostimulators 2 combat sciatic pain cause by the surgeries.  You might ask your Dr. about Benadryl.
I am just 4 weeks out with TKR. Was not prepared for the continuous pain, doing PT and home exercises, torturous as it is I do see improvement. But the Pain is so bad.  Does one need a script from the surgeon for the Flexinator machine? this sounds hopeful.  Looking forward to swimming when I get cleared by Doc
I am a 68 year old male with a total knee replacement completed eight weeks ago. Everything has gone quite normal with my pain level and range of motion and straightness are exceptional. The problem I have is on the lower outside corner of my knee where I sometimes get a stabbing pain which causes me to scream no matter where I am. This pain may come with very slight movement or no movement at all in my leg. Despite all the progress I've made this stabbing pain seems to come at any time unprovoked. If it happens to me once it will probably happen to me three or four times that day. I am hopeful that in the long term this will gradually fade away but I'm not very optimistic. How about yourself?
I am experiencing exactly the same.  As you say it doesn't matter if you are moving or staying still. The stabbing pain is excruciating. What on earth is going on in the knee.   They should prepare people for this as it seems a lot of people experience the same. I don't have any answers but it helps to know it is normal.  Well we hope it is.