Orthopedics Community
Post Operative knee replacement, ongoing pain, please help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Viewing 201-206 comments:
Thank you for the suggestion of Stopain and/or ActiveOn.  I had my right knee replaced 3/10.  Four weeks later I was back at work and I still love my new knee.  However, I had the left knee replaced 3/11 and I don't think the pain has ever stopped.  I had to have it scoped after 3 months due to excessive scar tissue growth. I also have lymphedema in the left knee which has contributed to the problems.  My surgeon says there is a new scan, but it cannot be done before 18 months outside of surgery.  Sometimes the pain is unbearable.  I hope these rub-ons work.  Thanks.
I have just had a revision of a knee that was replaced 3 Years ago. I am a 53 Year old Male. The original knee was the incorrect size for my anatomy and was damaging the soft tissue inside the leg. The new one is absolutely fine, three weeks in I can bend 110degrees + ,no significant pain, little swelling, the scar is tiny and progress is on target.
Surgeons are human, all bodies are different, get a second opinion.
My mom had bilateral surgery 4 weeks ago. She had knee replacements 8 years and 10 years ago. However, 6 months ago she got an infection in both knees and nearly died. She had the replacements removed and was in a wheelchair unable to move for 16 weeks. She then had the bilateral. She was doing well but is struggling with pain management. Her mobility is at 108 percent in one knee and 120 percent in the other knee. Today she was rushed to the hospital due to high blood pressure and symptoms similar to a heart attack. They have run multiple tests but it appears that the stress from the pain might be what is causing her symptoms. It is amazing what they do not tell you related to pain management. You do meet many people who tell you that they are so much better after surgery but the truth is that the pain never seems to go away.
Well here's my story and I'm sticking to it! I'm a retired vet of 26 years and after 4 surgeries on each knee we elected to do my right knee first (Feb 2012).  The surgery and post PT of 12 weeks went well and toughed out the pain so to speak but now I am experiencing terrible pain at the base o f  the knee where the implant meets the bone so to speak.  I walk on the tread mill and utilized a stationary bike three to four time a week and that tends to keep the knee's range of motion going for me.  I find myself taking three to four trips to my wife's garden tub (jets assisted) and this seems to help with swelling and tightness.  Now, I'm probably going to return to the folks in Nashville who did the surgery and inquire as to this new and intense pain. Hope I didn't bore you!  Buz - Suwanee GA
Hi I had the same thing in my left knee with an infection and revision. I lost 50% of my range of motion and have pain everyday. How are you doing?
I am 51 yrs. old.  I had TKR Oct. 2010.  I did extremely well in PT, and my knee was doing great up until Aug. 2011.  I started experiencing swelling/inflammation and pain.  Went back to OS in September, and he gave me a cortisone injection, which I experienced an adverse reaction and my knee really got swollen.  OS drained it...lots of fluid pulled off the knee..and did some blood work.  Went for a bone scan to rule out infection, and decided to do a synovectomy Dec. last year.  The synovectomy did NOT help.  My knee is still inflamed and painful.  I visited a rheumatologist June this year, who determined through blood work that I have inflammatory arthritis.  He said the TKR or something must have triggered it.  He put me on a drug used for rheumatoid patients called sulfasalazine.  After 2 mos., my knee is pretty much the same.  Has anyone else had this problem with TKR?  I hate it...painful to walk or stand for very long.  
After reading though the comments posted here has made me realize I am not alone. I am 31 years old and have been dealing with knee pain for over 10 years.  It is nice to see that there are others in my age group that have had knee replacements as well as similar complications to what I am experiencing.  I know that no one wants to have these issues but it helpful to be able to hear from people in similar situations.  I recently had my 7th knee surgery.  After trying to find a solution to the extreme pain I had in my left knee (included surgeries - microfracture and bone transplants, braces, foot orthotics, medication and physical therapy) I ended up having my knee replaced (Uni Knee - Conformis) in October 2011.  My knee pain seemed to be getting better but never great.  My range of motion was fantastic and eventually in March 2012 I was discharged from PT.  My strength and range of motion were fantastic but the pain was unbearable.  I started seeing other surgeons and it was eventually determined to be infected.  Part of the infection meant the component was loose so this caused even more pain.  The new doctor took out the replacement within a week of figuring it out and put a temporary spacer in.  I was also on Vancomycin for 7 weeks through continuous IV.  Within 2 weeks I felt much better.  I had almost no swelling and was starting to get back on track.  At the beginning of June I started getting more pain and the doctor figured the spacer had started to come loose or fall apart.  June 13, 2012 they took out the spacer and put in a new Uni Knee by Stryker.  They debated full vs Uni but because of my age and the condition of the rest of my knee we went with the Uni.  I had an accident that damaged my knee and femur in a very specific spot initially so the damage was well contained.  I am 8 weeks post op right now and am still in considerable amounts of pain.  I have not started physical therapy because my range of motion is "impressive" (according to the doctor) and I am still in so much pain.  I am worried I have an infection again but the doctor is very sure that is not the case.  I trust him because after my first surgeon telling me I didn't have an infection but not having any answers for me about explaining the pain for over 5 months this new doctor diagnosed the infection without labs, blood work, etc.  I now have a hematoma so my knee and leg is extremely swollen and even more painful.   I am constantly icing, elevating and resting my leg.  I know that rest is the best thing for it and I am trying to do as much as I can to stay off of it, however my life doesn't exactly allow for me to not do anything.  I have 3 kids and the oldest two of them are 3 years old and I have a 9 month old.  Needless to say I can't spend all day sitting around.  I am getting relatively frustrated with the whole process now, needless to say.  I had really thought the whole "knee mess" was going to be over last October with the replacement but now I am 9 months out and still in constant pain, 2 surgery later and there is no end in sight!  Any advice for me?  I know it will take "time" - that's what I keep hearing but I don't think it is unreasonable to think my knee could return to some sort of "normal" state either.  I'm not looking to play sports, run marathons or anything like that, I'd just like to have a more traditional life that involves me playing with my kids and not having my wife bear all of the responsibility of our household.  
Recovery times of 10- 16 weeks are not out of the ordinary.  With my first knee replacement I was sidelined for a solid 12 frustrating weeks.  Currently I am having all sorts of fun with the right knee replacement done last November (10 flippn' months ago!).
just reading your post -did the nerve block work for you?
Did it stop or relieve the knee pain?
People shouldn't be afraid to say exactly how they feel.  I had TKR 30 Sept 2011 and a year on I still have pain.  Having read through the posts here I feel encouraged just knowing that I am not abnormal.  When people I know ask me how I am, I automatically say "I'm fine", because in my mind I want to be and I don't want to admit I am no better off than I was before I had the replacement - in some ways I feel worse and find I have less walking abilities.  I also don't sleep soundly, thrashing around trying to get comfortable, in the evenings I fidget for England!  While I'm kidding myself  it is my Wife who brings me back to Earth with a sharp reality check and reminds me exactly how I am.  After coming off all my pain medication with the exception of Ibprophin, and Paracetamol I find myself having to go back to taking codeine tablets again with little effect.  People who don't know think that Knee Replacements are fairly routine and minor surgery and don't realise the level of pain and tiredness involved not only for the patient but also for their carer.  
I had TKA 4 weeks ago for osteoarthritis with a Biomet component. My pain is at a level 6 (disrupts sleep, need continual pain medication, upset ADLs) most of the time even with Norco every 4 hours.

What helps is MOVE the joint! Move it or lose it as they say. You need to keep up ROM and lengthen any tight ligaments. Physical therapy KILLS me but I know I need to do this NOW, or have a tight inflamed contracted joint foreverrnore.  Before scar tissue sets up, do the physical therapy if you have just had surgery recently.  After scar tissue forms, a surgical manipulation under anesthesia is what I have been told is the treatment for a frozen joint.

What else helps me:
Medical magnets placed on the painful points and held in place with ACE wrap. ( I got some from ProMagnet.com)
Ice packs for 20 min 10x day.
Elevate the joint
Stretching the tight ligaments and strengthening the muscles around the joint. (hurts but its the only thing that will help in the long run).

Good luck! stick with it!
lactic acid build up discovered my ph was very acidic. 3 months out unable to sleep more than 2 hours at a time ankle calf thigh or knee would wake me in pain would have to get up exercise then ice then return to bed finally checked my ph and started drinking green protein drink pain tightness and cramping are much less intense i have hope again
I understand that this thread is over a year old, but I just went through a TKR after and here is my story:

(It is long, so please read and be patient, thank you.)

In Feb 2012, I wound up in the ER because my R-Knee was swollen to the point that I could not really bend it without a lot of pain. After the ER Doctor aspirated 160cc of fluid, (clear) he told me, ‘if it is not better in two weeks see this doctor.’

Well, I did not wait two weeks because the fluid came back within 24 hours. So I made an appointment to see this doctor ASAP.

After the MRI on Friday, I saw my doctor on Monday and had to have a meniscus repair that Friday. The meniscus was more seriously damaged than the MRI had shown.

He told me after the repair that I was looking at a Partial Knee Replacement in 5+ years.

By March, he had then aspirated the knee 6x’s and suggested that we take another look at the R-Knee, orthoscopic wise. We had to schedule the Partial Knee (MAKOplasty) because the knee broke down much quicker than the 5+ years that he thought.

So we went through the PKR – MAKOplasty.

We wound up draining the knee, now from blood build up, rather than the clear fluid. I was in constant pain with the SHIN BONE non-stop after this replacement. Sometimes to the point of tears and I do not give into tears that easily. It has to HURT!

After losing over a unit and a half of blood from the knee being aspirated 3x’s in 12 hours, we found out the inner layer of my knee was simply oozing blood and he had to ‘seal it’ as best he could.

Then at the end of August, the knee was still swelling and blood was still being drained from it, it was time to ‘go back in’. My bones, tendons, cartilage and such were ‘died black’ because of the constant presence of blood and it caused the whole knee to basically break down. We also found I was allergic to the metal from the PKR. Thus in Sept, we had to take out the PKR and do a TKR.

It is now the END of October and I have had NON-STOP pain since February and the SHIN AREA is the main focal point of the pain. I am being told, “Don’t worry, it will pass.” When I asked, “When? Give me, even an ETA?” I was well told no answer. This shin pain is one of the most painful experiences I’ve had to deal with.

I have two granddaughters living with us full time and I need my life back.
They need me to be there for them. I’m more a ‘dad’ to them, than a Grandfather (Papa).

For the medical staff here on this forum, I (we) understand you cannot have all the answers. That each person is different and the cause/effect of Knee Replacement can be as different as well.

But we need support and HONEST answers, and if you do not know. Then tell us, but don’t leave us ‘there’. Help by researching and giving us some ideas, thoughts and such. Heck, even if it means going ‘back in’ to see.
We just want as much as possible to have our lives back if at all possible. But telling us, “No infection, you’ll be fine.” IS NOT AN ANSWER.

The interesting thing now is, I have a friend on the East Coast that is a doctor. He had to have a PKR and started to experience the SHIN PAIN. Funny/sad that it takes a doctor to go through this, before we non-doctor’s get any attention. He was surprised at the SHIN PAIN and is going to make sure he gets/finds an answer.

Can doctor’s please trust us when we go, “this is not feeling right”? We are not all looking for Pain Drugs, believe it or not. We just want our lives back, as much as is possible. But giving us a ‘cold’ non-answer is not helping us.

Again, if you don’t know the answer, fine – TELL US. But don’t leave it there. PRACTICE MEDICINE and help us find the answer(s). Please??

Hi i have both knees replaced at one time in 2006 and doing fine until now my right one is hurting really bad just when i try to sit or bend it really hurtsbad what can i do
Exactly 4 weeks. now after TKR on right knee.
Wound has healed really well - surgeon did a great job.
Now walking unaided indoors. Still use 2 crutches outdoors for security (due to uneven surfaces,  steps ad generally for  protection from knocks!)

Doing physio exercises (at least 6 different bending/stretching) x 25 times each x 3 times per day. (Only able to do 2 sets for past few days as muscles aching in thigh/groin and calf - probably a good sign the leg is being well stretched!)

Bend is really good - almost as good now as my good leg. Thankful for this.
Sometimes feel a little 'clunk' when doing some exercises
Swelling now reduced but still bad under the knee area. VERY tight, stiff and heavy first thing in the morning and after rest.

I am getting out quite a bit but after walking a short distance (e.g. say 400 yds) constantly, I feel the pain starting. I have been advised that when this happens to STOP and rest as, to continue pushing through the pain, will cause damage.

My worst time? NIGHT TIME!  Due to bad reaction to most painkillers (sickness and hallucinations) I have to survive on Paracetamol - restricted to 8 per day. As I really need these every 4 hrs during the night I have to restrict them through the day so I ice up a few times per day - and rest for at least an hour on top of the bed with my leg elevated.

I have a 'frame' which goes under the bedclothes, so that my toes are free - this is a good device.

I get discouraged when I read of people having the pain for up to a year after the surgery! I am doing as I was told - rigidly following instructions, but it is hard not to get 'down' at times when progress is slow.

Seeing my consultant surgeon for review in 2 weeks time. Hope he can throw more light on the matter.

All the best to EVERYONE who is suffering and well done to all the bilateral surgery people, you are heros!

I live in Northern Ireland
What do people suggest to aid sleeping while taking oxycodone?
im 8 wks and i find that also not to bad but annoying at times must be maybe nerves are healing or something lol not sure...
I have read all the above posts relating to ongoing pain after a total knee replacement and have a slight twist regarding surgical (non) explanations as to why it may be happening.

I had my TKR in Jan 2011 and went back to work in Sep 2011.After 18 months of non stop pain I had to stop work again and had revision surgery (5 months ago in the hope of finding a problem. The surgeon said the lower half of the joint may have been a little out of line so all should be good from here on.

5 months later the problem remains with a continual knee ache that gets more and more intense if I don't get of it. Nothing prescribed makes any difference so today I went back to surgeon for followup appointment to inform him of no change situation.

His explanation now is that I am now depressed and centering all my thoughts on my knee. He told me I need to go back to work to take my mind of the pain which will subside as I learn not to think about it!

I'm still spinning from this and wondering whats the point? He seems to have forgotten I have already gone back to work once 9 months after the initial tkr but had to stop work 11 months later because the unrelenting pain was overpowering me.

Now 2.5 years later and the situation is starting to depress me suddenly the cause of all my ongoing pain is my depression!

How handy an excuse is that? Obviously hasn't stopped to wonder what may be causing the depression

Bloody doctors!
It's been almost 4 months since my surgery, I still feel that burning. I was told it's tissue pain. I use a transdermal cream from the surgeon, does help alittle,It does feel like it should be red, but it's not.. I also have pain in my ankle since the suirgery.  The clicking in my knee drives me crazy. Good luck
I had a left TKR in September 2012, I am still having a significant amount of pain where the implant goes into my tibia, and when walking a lot of pain in my knee cap. From day one my knee continues to buckle several times a day resulting in me falling a few times, quite a few times since the surgery. One thing I have noticed is that if I tap on my knee cap there is a tremendous amoount of space between my knee cap and new joint. If you tap on it it sounds like you could play "the spoons" on my knee cap. Every one I have talked to has never seen that including my PT. The PT says my kneecap is not tracking straight and the play in my kneecap is causing my knee to buckle. My OS says give it time. My left knee is shot also and needs replaced and this is causing even more stress on my left knee. Can anyone tell me about this slap or play in my kneecap. I am still walking with a cane, when I go to my OS office they question me on why I am still using the cane. I do not want to fall. Thanks and good luck to all.
I am going on one year post op and am still in a lot of pain.  I had both done and it is still uncomfortable.  My right knee gives out and most days pain level is 7 or 8.  If anyone has suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Has anyone tried acupuncture or a holistic approach.,  I would be very interested.  
I suffered from severe osteoarthritis for years..became hooked on opiates..I was 43 years old and they kept telling me they wouldn't give me knee replacements until I was 50..Our state's policy????? Now I have had 2 knees done..and now the only pain relief for me is being taken off the benefit list. As I also have epilepsy, I cannot tolerate other certain pain medications. They told me I had the knees of a 90 year old. My worst knee was operated on 5 times..sort of a holding pattern before they replaced it..I have a very low tolerance to pain and my doctor says " get over it..I have a sore back and I come to work everyday."Only 2 people in this city are allowed to prescribe these meds so I am stuck with him until I am forced off them. the government are saying " We must get these people off these habit forming drugs for their own good..but the truth is, the cost to the government. Now what?? Do they wish us to suicide when your quality of life is so low due to constant pain?? It would certainly save the bastards money!!
Whoops..That was a bit angry. But budget cuts to our health system..an oxymoron in itself..has caused long waiting lists.. Was working hard earning good money, now I am treated like a second class citizen. 3-4 years of post operative pain can make you go a little crazy..went through depression..the meds piled on the kgs fast, which did not help with the pain in my legs..After waiting until I was old enough to have surgery??? about 7 years, I thought my problems were over when my name came up for my knee replacements..Now I am socially isolated due to the fact that I cannot sleep..and after an hour or so on my feet, my knees swell so much that I walk away stiff legged. Sorry if I cannot help anybody with my rant ..but I have no answers..the health system is overflowing ..and I am just a number.
I just read your post and am currently waiting in the hospital for my Dad's 5 knee surgery on the left knee.  You described a lot of what he is going through.  His Dr. said he couldn't doing anything more for him.  What happened in your case.
I had total knee replacements both knees same day.  Many bad thing occurred there was a student anesthesia dr in room he pace too much of wrong medication in my spinal which caused me to be in ICU for thre days un moving concern was heart racing and breathing bad,  I started experiencing extreme pain which cause no one knew how to handle finally they determined by test the I had pulimary embellish close to lung.  I was on bed rest not to move and given medicine to break the clot.  Once safe I started therapy.  Scar tissue had formed and legs didnt move far.  I had to have two surgeries where they broke these tissues. During last surfy they had problems with spinal and had to receive two blood patches.  I am continually in pain which has increased over years.  I am afraid of doctors or any other surgery.  I had difficulty walking or standing still for any amount of time.  I don't know what to do regarding the situation or if I should just live.  Because of pain and inability to move alot I have experienced increased depression.  I'm confused as to what I should do....
Hey guys I am in a torn state with you all,I had my left total knee done this past March and I also exceeded my docs and of expectations I am 49 6'6" 289 down from 330, which was a huge help, I am having the dull deep bone pain and the sudden violent stabbing pain sessions however my doc says yes it's normal, his best layman term was "how do you think it would feel knowing I drilled into your bone,hammered steel in place then manipulated your knee to point muscle pulled?" My answer was oh ok all I can say is watch a tkr on you tube and you will see why it still hurts as far as meds my doc hands them over. But I asked to go down from Percocet to vicadine and it with a Motrin eases it to live btw I had 10 knee surgeries on same knee before agreeing to tkr so in a way a lot of my pain and slow recovery is on me so I work harder I am also at 10 weeks post open and free of pt cause of the effort and a great Dr.
I had a total knee replacement 4 months ago. I was in severe pain because the swelling was putting pressure on the nerves that was starting to rejuvenate after the surgery. Last week I started taking Indocin for gout. In one day my swelling was cut in half. After one week my swelling is nearly gone. I still exercise & workout daily. I'm 42 yrs old and I'm doing very well. I had a full range of motion my 5th week after surgery. I went back to work 14 weeks after surgery & I thought I was going to go back out on medical leave due to the constant pain and swelling. I had nothing to lose so I started the Indocin. It caused diarrhea at first but that went away in two days!
I am 18mths  post surgery and still experiencing problems especially when walking and I too am only able to walk a short distance. Standing is very painful and yes the muscle at  the back of my leg is painful when sitting or driving. The tightnes and tension is indescribable and the whole experience has been such a challenge. I can bend my leg well but fully straightening is difficult and doesnt  straighten when I walk of stand. 8 wks after surgery I went back into hospital for manipulation and after a few months was able to bend the knee. I repeatedly exercise (have tried it without) but either way nothing seems  to help. I am at the end
of my tether. Hope this will help.

My husband is in the same predicament. He does not like the way his pain mess make him feel even though they take care of the pain. We are trying to find a natural or herbal relief for his pain. If anyone has  suggestions they are gladly welcome & greatly appreciated!
I'm 43, had left tka done 7 weeks ago, a week after it I had to go back in and have surgery to drain it because I began bleeding internally and it got massively swollen, my lower leg was numb due to swelling and the pain was unreal. I have never experienced such pain before or since.
I had two scopes before, also shots of cortisone and a lubricant medicine, without relief, had fallen down stairs at 37 and got worse and worse.
At the end could only stand ten minutes at a time, constant pain. Unable to work as an RN since December so I've wasted four years of college. Selling our business and sold my farm because I have no source of income now.
My range of motion and strength is fantastic....bending to 118 degrees, within 4 cm of being able to get it flat. Still have constant pain. My limping and falling has torn out my ACL and meniscus in the other one, scoping did not relieve it, and the surgeon says my knees are bone on bone. No longer need Percocet, but take Vicodin still, about out so will have to call again, I take 7.5 mg 1-2 prn....I take anywhere from one to a maximum of 6-8 or so on a bad day. Also take anti-inflammatory medicine and antidepressant.
I still cannot clean house, cook, work, or do anything. Can't shop. Can't have it down much. Must either be in recliner with ice on it, or in bed.
Bitterly depressed and have little to no hope I will ever be pain free. No longer require walker or cane, can go up and down stairs, but I hurt all the time. This is my first experience with pain beyond a headache/tylenol kind of thing. Wish they would have done more sooner.
OH man, I feel for u, I am five weeks post-op and not progressed as far as I would like to be, although the Flexinator machine is helping tremendously with pain and flexion mngmnt. It is torture to use but the rewards outweigh the pain whilst using it. I started swimming last week and it has helped tremendously as well. take your meds and go to PT. Work thru the pain and know we have all been there and we all feel ur pain ...

Ive had two ACL replacement surgeries and meniscus implant surgeries before having had the TKR, I thought TKR would be easy and "a piece of cake". In actuality, it takes ALOT of work and ALOT of self motivation to keep going. The flip side of the coin is to give up and be incapacitated for life.

I choose to do whatever it takes and to grit my teeth and bear it, although I have my dark moments of despair and discontent...be aware that this is normal and choose to see the glass as half full and get to work!!

I have to go torture myself with the Flexinator now but I wouldn't have it any other way as I see progress, as slow as it is...

Oh, and don't forget your pain pills!!

Good luck!!! Peace...GET WELL
My TKA took place on June 26. Up until late September I was still on narcotics for pain.  I worked through it all, the horrible pain, discomfort and sleepnless nights up until recently.  One thing I am not reading in many of the messages is how important it is to find a physical therapist who understands how to correct gait and body mechanics.  The disease that took our mobility also effected the way we move and the operation does not actually correct bad habits.  No amount of exercise will correct these totally.  Most PT's either don't have time to address poor body mechanics or they have little experience with it. Usually, they are into excercise, ice and stimulation machines.  Some do pilates but that too does not correct bad body mechanics. As long as the doctor can confirm that your knee remains in good mechanical alignment, and there is no infection, then that leaves body mechanics.  If your PT does not want to watch you walk during the first visit, then find someone who will and can communicate how to correct poor ambulation skills.  Also, the lumbar spine, specifically L4/L5, can refer pain into the knee, causing incredible discomfort;  this will also effect how you preceive the success of the TKA.  The PT should know this and should treat you for this.  Do not give up on your nursing career just because of your setbacks.   All of us who have had a TKA have had setbacks, pain, doubt and yes, some disappointment.  It is major surgery. I can only encourage you to work through them. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
I had a total knee replacement 6 yrs ago.  It was surgery #6 on the knee. In the first 6 mos. following the surgery I had a manipulation procedure and another procedure to remove excess scar tissue. The pain levels have gradually increased over the years to now be more than they were prior to the replacement.  I had pt for 11 mos. following the initial replacement.  I have tried a variety of prescription pain killers and none are effective.  I am no longer taking any.  I have difficulty sitting, walking or sleeping more than 2 hours at a time.  I have seen 3 different orthopedic surgeons.  None have been able to come up with any solutions or suggestions that work.  Any suggestions, ideas, etc.?
Thanks.
I have the same problem you mentioned.  I could be sitting on the couch with my leg elevated.  I fall asleep and suddenly I feel a snap at the back of my knee.  It wakes me up immediately and I have to move the leg around to get rid of the pain.  This happens at night sometimes when I am sleeping.  The leg all the sudden snaps in the back of the knee and.  I have not told my surgeon so I may have to make an appointment to see him and see what he says.  Have you found a solution to this problem.
I had tkr 10weeks ago and the pain is now worse than before the operation.  started off well for the first 5 weeks,then slowly deteriorated until I can now hardly walk more than a few steps at a time.2 doctors have told me it,so quite normal but I persisted and have managed to get an appointment with the surgeon who did the operation this week. Quite honestly I,my dreading what he is going to diagnose as I think it may be a follow up operation and I hate hospitals
Hi I am sixty one years old and male and I also had my knee replacement six weeks ago and as you say the slightest touch of the duvet or blanket triggers off a whole lot of surface nerve endings across my knee. I had a heart bypass eighteen years ago and my chest was the same for months and even now sometimes when the car seat belt lays across my chest I can feel the old nerve endings burning.
I found that by massaging  a non perfume E45 moisturiser into my whole leg gives me a lot of relief and especially beneficial for me is if I massage my upper leg  from the knee up to my hips and my lower leg from my knee down to my feet, this seems to send the pain away from my knee somehow and is a welcome short period when the pain stops. I am only on paracetamol but use Volterol cream when pain flares up around the sides of my knee and especially at the back of my knee, where the tendons tighten up and hurt. Hope that helps. God bless. Dan
Hi. I was discharged by my Consultant recently after six weeks and have completed my last Physiotherapy session following my knee replacement surgery. I still have a problem with high riser stairs at home but can almost run up and down the shallow rise staircase at the Medical Center without a stick, although I am still in pain with muscle aches and almost unbearable nerve ending tingling around my knee. I am now able to drive but only short hops. However the sleepless night continue....any suggestions welcome?
Best regards to you all.
Danzo

I wrote this letter below to my Consultant to thank him for all that he had done.

Dear Sir
I wanted to update you on the progress of my recent knee replacement which you undertook for me and I am delighted to tell you that everything is healing wonderfully. The knee has as much movement as is possible and I now look forward to going swimming and cycling and enjoying the things (including sea fishing) that previously I was unable to do because of my old crippled arthritic knee.  Obviously there is still a lot of surface inflammation and other factors have hindered me immediately after the operation, such as my arthritic hips and feet, as well as the back pain, which I have endured for so many years but these things are made so much better due to my replacement knee and I am so much happier emotionally and feel better physically also.
People ask me about my knee replacement and I rejoice in being able to give a positive testimony to the benefits of having the operation done but my greatest joy is telling them who it was that undertook my operation and my eyes sparkle with gratitude when I tell them that it was you who did my knee replacement, thank you so very much my friend. I am utterly confident that should my other knee ever need to be done (hopefully not) I would love you to do it for me.

Yours gratefully

I have the " knocking" too ( I call it clunking).  I am at 10 weeks, occasional pain if I overdo it, use a cane to do stairs and outdoors.  Extension 4 degrees and ROM 105.  Told we have to be patient t, but it's hard
My husband had his op just over 5 weeks ago and has experienced the same excruiating pain as you have, he went back to surgeon who said that it was early days and it was a big op!  He could take some paracetamol for the pain.  My husband's physio therapist said it was not the operation is was something
that needed other medication.   We went to our GP and she prescribed some anti-inflammatories.    This has decreased the number of spasms he has had but he still has them.  They are very painful, he is coping with the new knee and has brilliant range of movement and walks about with no crutches or cane, but this pain, mainly in bed is something else!!!!!!!
Hello Dora, Welcome to MedHelp!

I'm sorry to hear about your husbands pain! I (Orthopedic Surgical First Assistant) have assisted on hundreds of this procedures and it is one of those "it takes time" situations.

I am only allowed to give my opinion over the internet, always consult your Orthopod . That being said, I can only suggest a couple of options. Either get a more potent pain med or get in to a Pain Management Clinic. The clinic offers more intense pain management i.e. injections.

I hope the situation improves. Please feel free to contact me for any information/ questions you or your husband may have. I am the Orthopedic Leader for this site.

Best wishes!  JD1963
I am glad I found this, sometimes you think you are the only one feeling like this. I had my left knee replaced Nov.1 and my right replaced Dec 15 of 2013 so I am 5 and 6 months post op. I still have stiffness in both but only have pain in the left.  I have pain that makes me limp about half of the time and I hate that I had my knees replaced because I did not want to limp. I have only take ibuprofen ( even in the hospital) my Dr told me recovery takes a year I just didn't believe it. I am 59 and in great shape (well I was) any suggestions from anyone on the limp?
I was reading the comments on this site just to find the same answers. I have two replacements. First one in 07 and the other in 09, All of a sudden the latter one is starting to hurt me. It gets stiff and in lots of pain when I sit for a while or even if I stand in on place. when I wake up I can hardly walk on it. I too have developed back and hip pain, so I understand what you are saying about always in pain. If you find a relation to all of this please let me know.
My first knee replacement was done in 2003. I never recovered from the operation. I was 58 years old them. My life was ruined. I underwent a "repair" in 2006 which was a replacing the first one. It was surpassingly a solution. It was not'. The right knee joint was almost gone and once again I was told that this new joint would be custom made for my right knee. It too has failed. My life now is nonexistent. I have pain and swelling every single day, 24 hours a day.  Up until 3 months ago I would get steroid shots which were my only source of relief but Medicare will no longer pay for them and they are now deemed dangerous for people with prosthetic joints. I am doomed to a life of pain and suffering. I can’t walk or do any type of exercise. I have gained more than 30 pounds. I am in danger of getting diabetes, high blood pressure and look forward to being addicted to Oxycontin for the rest of my life. Now I am told that doctors believe I have arthritis in my muscles and ligaments that are attached to or surrounding my titanium knee replacements. Are they crazy? Arthritis by definition a joint disease, not a metal disease. I know what you are going through. I pray that God gives a doctor the healing gift to help people like us, some relief in the future. If not for me, then I pray that it happens to you.
I had a total left knee replacement 17 months ago.  I kept telling the doctor that the knee and the side of my calf was burning.  He didn't know what that was.  I told him the leg was shorter than the other, he said everyone says that.  Well 6 months of therapy, no help.  6 months ago new doctor right knee replacement.  better than left. measured the left knee and sure enough shorter.  He suggested I go to a plastic surgeon for the left knee for an excision of neuroma.  Had that two weeks ago, don't bother nothing if not worse.  I cannot walk barefooted because the leg is shorter, it burns constantly, sleep with a pillow between my legs, very restless sleep.  Pain pills do not help, just makes me ga ga.  Ruined my life.  I am very depressed.
iT's a poor show ,their is not alot

of advice is given post op ,they can't wait to get you out of your bed and ready for the next patient.
If I was you I'd be back and get it sorted out its,not good enough ,in the private sector it's a licence to print money get you done And  pick up the cash who cares what happens to you when you go home I've had both done four months post op got 120 degrees movement but that's it stopped so I'm thinking scar tissue read up about it ,it stops your new knees from working I'm going for slot of hard sports massage to see if I can break down scar tissue other than that I'm out on the bike three times a day hammering the joints to move alas no joy ,but I will keep it going  got to before the scat tissue heals up altogether watch this space hope you inprove
Had TKR was bad from the first day after surgery. When  After I sit or stand , for just a few minutes it looks like someone placed a tourniquet around the top of my knee. The knee and leg down to the foot will turn red and then purple if I remain on it. The pain is always bad no matter what I do. I stay in the recliner most of the time with leg up and this helps keep the reddish purple color from happening. I had two Doppler's done blood flow seems to be fine.
Viewing 201-206 comments: