Post Shoulder Arthroscopy Problems
6 weeks ago I had arthroscopic surgery to debride a small tear in the rotator cuff, remove an extra large bone spur and clean away nasty arthritis. Therapy has been going very well. From the end of the first week the therapist was able to get my arm within normal range of motion. Since then I have been doing active range of motion to within normal limits (with mild pain at end ranges).

Monday was my appointment with my doctor, so he did some manual muscle testing. He had me put my arm out to the side, in abduction, he pushed down and I was to resist this motion. I had had this done many times since I hurt myself last July, and nothing was out of the ordinary. When he did this we both heard an audible noise that sounded like paper tearing, it was such an acute pain, much worse than after surgery. I have retained extension of the shoulder, but have lost almost all abduction and flexion, due to a combination of pain and weakness. I have the constant feeling of a cramp in the anterior and mid deltiod area. The therpist is able to passively move my shoulder to almost full range, this is fairly painfull but tolorable. They have now added ultrasound and dexamethasone to my therapy.

After this happened the doctor lowered my arm, said he was sorry and had never had that happen before. He said it was probably scar tissue releasing, but we will need to wait and see. Tomorrow will be 5 days and I still can not raise my arm forward or to the side on my own.

Does this explanation seem reasonable considering I had full ROM before this happenened? Has anyone experiences anything similiar? Any advice would be helpfull. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply to my post.

Take Care