Orthopedics Community
Post-op TKR

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Post-op TKR

My husband had TKR on May 5 2008.  .  He is still on anti-inflammatory med and pain Killers and the knee is still slightly swollen.
He feels like his knee cap is moving around and his knee feels like it is going to give out on him.  He has seen three different docs and they all say he is coming along fine.  He just stared walking with a cane after 13 weeks.  
After surgery in hospital, the CPM they had him on may have caused trumor in his knee because the bed they had him in was too short for him.  He is 6 ft  tall and his knee was not positioned in it right.  His leg was not straight.  Could this have caused the knee cap to have been misalighted at this cruicial time after surgery?  He still has pain and feels that there is something wrong in his knee.  Are there any other tests that might show if there is a problem with the knee cap.  Can an MRI be done with TKR, or a Ct Scan or bone scan?
Thank you for any advice.
You need to ask ALL the doctors to do a bone scan. Your problem sounds just like mine. I had to find out the hard way. I had 2 total knee replacements in 6 months time onm the same knee. It is horrible. i am good now except for my muscles. They are dead. So that is what I am dealing with now.
Hi there,
I had a TKR in September and although its still relatively early days, I am still in pain, and cannot get up the stairs using the operated knee, its worrying as my other knee is going to have a TKR in January and Im worried I am never going to get any strength back in my muscles, I had been in such pain before the op and not able to walk properly and its just amazing how quickly you lose your muscle strength. How are you doing now I was trying to find a success story but amongst these posts but so far no luck and everyone has muscle, tendon or knee pain months and sometimes years after the event.  How do we manage to strengthen them up, I have been going to the gym and swimming and still seeing my physio who tried to give me more challenging exercises, but all it did was put me back on crutches and the back of my knee got all swollen and is so painful into the calf area, I can hardly stand up and walk.