Orthopedics Community
Post-op swelling of the leg
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Post-op swelling of the leg

My mother received a hip replacement on May 13/08.  She is doing fine and was released from the hospital on
May 17.  Since then the swelling, which was initially following her surgery in her thigh to knee area, has now spread to her ankle.  It is not purplish, and she insists she is not in pain.  But it is a cause of concern to me and my sisters who are overlooking her recovery.  I called the hospital and they told me it is a normal part of recovery from hip surgery.

Because there are so many involved in her care, there is a difference of opinion as to what we should do.  I want to continue to monitor the situation and have her elevate her leg whenever she is sitting, or laying down.  My sisters believe we should take her to her doctor.  She is 87 years old.  She was prescribed Celebrex on release from hospital.  I read the side effects and swelling is one of them.