Orthopedics Community
Post surgery ankle pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Post surgery ankle pain

I had ankle surgery in December 2008 for instabilty and pain in my ankle. The pain is worse than before the surgery. I'm not so sure that I even needed the surgery. I now have a numb big toe, stiffness and difficulty doing everyday things. I went back to my doctor eleven months after the surgery to tell him about my concerns. He suggested either doing cartlidge replacment or just giving it a little more time. Does it take that much time to heal? Do I just need to give it more time? Do I need to see a different doctor?

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

I would suggest you to go for latest scans to understand the healing. I would also suggest you to take a second opinion.

You can start physiotherapy and wear proper footwear and take intermittent NSAIDs and try conservative treatment and if you cannot overcome the pain then you would need some intervention.

Take care!