Orthopedics Community
Post surgery swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Post surgery swelling

I fell down my stairs November 1st at 3am and broke both my tibia and fibula.  Surgery was put off until Nov.24th due to severe swelling.  I now have a plate and 8 screws that my doctor said never have to come out.  I've had since this began severe swelling and no matter how much I ice and elevate it just won't go away.  Now the swelling has begun to happen on my opposite leg and foot, it was not injured in the fall and no one can seem to answer why.  They want me to get blood tests to see if something else is going on.  I have an appointment in a few weeks to do that, but am wondering if anyone else has experienced the pain and swelling on the opposite side of what was fractured? I'm getting so frustrated with all of this!  I'm a single mom and have to work full time, so rest is not an option.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks