Posterior heel spur with bursitis
I have had posterior heel pain and edema for over 2 yrs.  I finally decided to see podiatrist due to inability to walk without limping and pain that occurred with every step and it got to the point of shooting pain up my heel and leg even at rest.  (I am unable to wear shoes that have a back without pain and it hurts to walk barefooted) I am also unable to stand on my tip toes on affected foot. I had an x-ray that showed a large posterior heel spur with bursitis.  I have had 2 cortisone injections (1 week apart), wearing an air cast, and taking ibuprofin 200mg 3-4 times a day when I can remember. The swelling is down significantly, and the pain has improved some.  If I am on it much it does swell more and becomes somewhat warm to touch compared to the other foot. I was wandering about the cortisone injections although they have seemed to make a difference, I have read alot about not having cortisone in the posterior heel region due to weaking the tendon.  Any input is appriciated.  Thanks
Cortisone injection may or may not be helpful as for the posterior heel spur with bursitis,  In some cases a cortisone shot is placed into the area of the origin of the Plantar Fascia to rapidly reduce the amount of pain that is present. However, in many cases, a cortisone shot results in only a couple of weeks of pain relief and the problem is back with the same intensity of pain or even worse than before the cortisone shot.

Surgical intervention of either Heel Spur Syndrome or Plantar Fasciitis is rarely indicated and should be considered only after use of the night splint and / or the functional foot orthotic has failed.

Take care!
Thanks for the quick reply.