Orthopedics Community
Posterior horn of medial meniscus tear !!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Dears, I did have a knee injury and my doctor recommended having an MRI, after doing so, my MRI reports stated that...

““There is abnormal high T1 & T2 signal intensity lesion within the posterior horn of medial meniscus (arrows) reaching to meniscus surface & to the menisco-capsular attachment suggesting a grade 3 meniscus tear.
Mild joint effusion, and no abnormality is seen in cruciate and & collateral ligaments.
Normal knee alignment and no Focal bone lesion are seen.””

Knowing that in the last two months I have lost 34 lbs and I am down to 230 from 264.
Do you recommend a surgery or should I keep losing weight and exercising knowing that I have a heavy bone structure and I am 6’3” and there’s only so much weight I can lose. And my job as a body guard requires wearing body armor and heavy equipment .
Thanks...
If your meniscus is injured, I would recommend the surgery.  Most of the time, the meniscus does not heal itself.  The surgeon will go in arthroscopic and repair the meniscus.  It is a simple surgery and they will have you up walking as soon as you leave the recovery room.  Depending on the extent of the injury, you should only be off work a few weeks.  I would recommend the surgery and continue losing weight,.  Take care and hope you feel better soon.