Orthopedics Community
Pro bono orthopedica doctors

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Pro bono orthopedica doctors

My name is Alissa, I am currently 30 years old.

I was diagnosed with scoliosis in 1993; my curve was an 'S' curve that developed rapidly. I underwent a spinal fusion surgery to correct the issue, at that time the fusion went from C4 to T9 or 10; six months after the fusion it was discovered that in addition to my spine curving, it was also twisting horizontally. I underwent a second spinal fusion in 1994, this time the fusion was extended to my sacrum. I have harrington rods (titanium), and pedical screws.

A few years ago I fell and the fusion and screws broke right at the point where the sacrum meets the spine. Since this event, I have been in a great deal of pain and am very limited activity wise. I walk hunched over and physically can not stand up straight. My muscles constantly burn and I get numbness in my legs and feet as well as build ups of fluid. I am a per diem therapist, thus I have no health insurance, and most providers that offer insurance to individuals consider my condition pre-existing, and won't cover me. I need another surgery desperately. I know that I need a decompression surgery and new hardware, as I did pay to have a consult w/ a local orthopedic doctor. I am unable to afford this surgery and have no idea what to do next. A friend of mine suggested I post this question on this site to determine if anyone knows of any type of assistance is available to me or if by some chance you are affiliated with any doctors that may be willing to help me pro-bono or at a reduced cost.

If there is any advice or suggestion at all you think may help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you very much for your time.