Orthopedics Community
Probably Meniscus or chondromalacia patella

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I think this injury began at work, under a cublicle, while hooking up a computer.  I felt what was discomfort in my knee but ingnored it as it was a busy crazy day.  About a week later,  my knee really gave out on me.

Sidenote:  (I have for years been dealing  with plantar fascitis that has come and gone-I have flatter than flat flat feet)

I went to the ER and the DR thought it was a probable tear and told me to see an ortho DR.  Ortho DR took complete sets of Knee xrays and said bones were fine and it was probable meniscus or chondromalacia.  Was going on vacation and he gave me cortisone shot and crutches.  

A little after a month, shot wore off.  Having pain continually to the point of tears.  Taking aleve and tylenol.  Mornings are ok till I walk about 200 steps, then pain sets in and gradually gets worse all day.  I ice when I can, daily.  

In morning, I can do stairs (up) slowly but in the normal fashion.  I am 49, very overweight but working on it, female, with a youth history or waterskiiing, tennis, snowskiing. Getting up and down is an extreme issue lately.

I will most probably lose my job if I am out for surgery. Can Chiropractics help?  Any suggestions appreciated. I need my job but I have lost my mobility.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Proper diagnosis is important. For menisci tears surgery is an option.

Chondromalacia patella is softening of the cartilage of the under the kneecap or patella and is the is the most common cause of chronic knee pain.

The primary goal for treatment and rehabilitation of chondromalacia patella is to help a proper quadriceps contraction. Initial pain management involves avoiding motions which irritate the kneecap. Icing and anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or naproxen which can be helpful.

Stretching and strengthening the quadriceps and hamstring muscle groups is critical for an effective and lasting rehabilitation of chondromalacia patella. "Quad sets" are the foundation of such a program. Quad sets are done by contraction the thigh muscles while the legs are straight and holding the contraction for a count of 10. Sets of 10 contractions are done between 15-20 times per day.

Take care and follow up with your orthopedician.